Options

Loose electric panel on 22 tab 400

Found the panel completely loose from the cabinet face. Only the electric wires held it in place. The six #8x1/2 wood screws are too short because only about 5/16 inch penetrates the wood. Solution was to use #8x32 machine screws, flat washers, lock washers and nuts for thru panel fastening. Access t back of panel is by removing upper drawer and access panel below.
Nucamp needs to do better.

Comments

• Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,184
    Overdriven screws (and in your case too short of screws) seem to be a big problem with the interior of these campers. Our interior was plagued by this when we took delivery. Lots of toothpicks and glue later and things are much better. Pretty sure they’re using drivers on these tiny screws when they should be using a drill with a clutch instead. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    When I read about the working conditions at the corporate RV plants, I understand how many workers are pressed to perform. I trust that NuCamp does not create these sort of working conditions, which is why I want to support them. The extraordinary demands on production will increase errors in any process, as others have observed. All so that some of us can have a good time. 

https://www.rvtravel.com/1075-10-22b/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=2022-11-05&utm_campaign=Investigative+newspaper+series+blasts+RV+manufacturers

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    ckjsckjs Member Posts: 64
    My electrician likes to use a low-oomph electric screwdriver when dealing with small screws (as on panel covers) so that you can’t really overdrive them
    Charles & Judy, Santa Cruz, CA
    2018 T@B 320 CS-S; Alde 3020; 4 cyl 2020 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,184
    @qhumberd
    Yeah, it's really sad that the crunch for profit always falls on the workers. This is all purely about greed. Greed ruins everything. The push for efficient production usually ends up with the workers being screwed (no pun intended) over. 

@ckjs
    I do my fair share of woodworking and other DIY projects and I agree. You can't use a driver on smaller screws. You'll inevitably overdrive them. And when you're talking about the hundreds of screws that hold this camper together then the problem is compounded exponentially. I love using a driver on long, large screws. It's a godsend. But honestly most cabinetry should be assembled using a drill with a clutch setting. There's a certain amount of OCD involved when making things and I think the use of a driver to psychologically ensure the assembler that a screw is tight ironically leads to these screws being overdriven and useless at holding anything together.  
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road