Options

TV Antenna

We're wanting a small, reasonably priced tv antenna...prefer outside one if available...to pick up local channels if available when we camp. Recommendations will be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    stevevstevev Member Posts: 8
    Whoop! I forgot! We'd like to be able to connect the o/s antenna on the T@B outside TV port. Thanks.
  • Options
    BryanRBryanR Member Posts: 32
    I picked up this small antenna off amazon. I have only been able to test at one state park, but I went from 0 channels to picking up all the local channels. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004Y2898U
    Bryan & Vicki 2014 T@B CS-S MaXX ** 2016 Chevy Silverado Double Cab
    Transplanted Hoosier in Richmond, VA
    Go Colts!

• Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    I should try it. Our Rayzar indoor, which worked so well from our rural home, is hitting zero in the current state park. That said, a brief discussion with some folks with larger rigs is revealing that it's hit or miss with them as well.

I dislike affecting the "sleek" exterior, but by golly I'm going to have to do something. TV isn't everything, but it sure is something on a rainy day. Plus, it'd the principle. LOL
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    I have the Winegard Rayzar, too. I got pretty good reception this past weekend even though I was about 50 miles away from Denver.  I have heard that the reception radius is only about 20 miles, and I did have to reposition the antenna on the inside of the window and put the window in the furthest "up" position.  But it was nice to be able to catch the news and check on the incoming storm.  It's very lightweight and stores easily.  :D
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    belvagillespiebelvagillespie Member Posts: 199
    We got very good reception with the Wine gard for the first time. We watched the news.
    Campsite was on a mountain top. Faith restored in Winegard. Does anyone have the amplified model? BMW Gorgeous camp ground. State Park in Huntsville, AL. Monte Sano SP. 10 minutes from the Space Center. Great hiking trails. 10 minutes from our RV dealer.
    T@BbyKay, 2014 CS, S Ford Explorer
  • Options
    I know the area... I've got kin up near Ardmore. I went with the non amplified version because tests I read said it performed better... who knows? I do know weather is everything. Back home in the driveway, a good 45 to 50 miles from "the big city", I get 9 channels again.

Yesterday, I watched three "Hazel" reruns before one of my kids shook me loose from my coma.
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    We were at an overpriced KOA in Indianapolis (attending the Indy car race last weekend) and they didn't even have any cable TV hook-ups. We went to a Walmart and I bought a GE "Discreet" 1080p HD amplified antenna for $39.95. I put it on the roof of Columbia, plugged it in and it found 103 channels. Bear in mind that we were only 6 miles east of the 465 perimeter off I-70 so we were still near the city. Almost every channel came in crystal clear in 1080p HD. Yes folks, you read it right ......  103 channels   :D
  • Options
    Neil, how did you get the antenna on Columbia's roof? Do you travel with a step ladder? Did you put it on the very top next to the vent cover? of just off to the side?
    I guess your step stool may be high enough for you to reach the top of C. 
    Our internet connection has been out and spotty since we returned from BRR. I owe some responses to several people. I have not seen the blog spot, yet. Excited to see your edited version. We had a blast. 
  • Options
    I didn't need to use the step stool at all. The antenna has a weighted base and is very light in itself. I just reached up above the window (the cord length is the limiting factor) and set it near the edge but facing the city. It doesn't need to be near the central part of the roof, just elevated if possible. When you do the channel scan on the TV, you have to switch it from "cable" to "air". This particular antenna is designed to be placed beneath the TV like a soundbar so elevating it really optimised it's ability to find channels.

Antenna, amplifier, power supply (white box) and base (clips on to antenna)

• Options
    Thank you, sir.
  • Options
    PaulaKPaulaK Member Posts: 54
    BryanR said:
    I picked up this small antenna off amazon. I have only been able to test at one state park, but I went from 0 channels to picking up all the local channels. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004Y2898U

BryanR, thank you for the great tip. We ordered the same antenna from Amazon that you referenced and have been blown away by both the clarity and number of stations that we pulled in from our driveway in a northwest Minneapolis suburb. Like many of the reviewers on Amazon, this teensy little 6 inch antenna seemed like a joke when we opened the envelope. But it really does the trick in the metro area. The price was right, and the size will make it very easy to take along. Oh, and we just plugged it into the cable/coax hookup and used the magnetic base to attach it to the top of the front wheel crank. Nice.

Paula & Larry | 2015 T@B S M@XX "Serenity"| 2014 Subaru Outback | Maple Grove, MN
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited June 2014
    There are many products available on the market today and keep in mind that regardless of what you buy or your personal preference the reception you receive will depend on your location or proximity to larger metropolitan areas.   I get abouit 35 channels here at home when parked in my driveway, but have also found out that this fades quickly when I am in remote locations or in mountainous areas/taller terrain that block out any signals.  I have also played around with the antenna and know that these devices are directional in nature and that you will also need to run several scans after pointing the antenna in various directions and either positioning the antenna in a vertical or horizontal position.  The antenna I have also has a booster that screws into the antenna and sits between the antenna and TV and unless this is plugged into shore power it is virtually useless because no signal is received.  So regardless of which TV antenna you decide to buy there are variables that will impact your reception or ability to pick up a decent signal, depending on the location, proximity to transmitters (they are line of site dependent unless you have a satellite unit and can position it skyward), etc.......  Make sure to bring along some DVD's! :D

I have a Winegard RayZar antenna on order right now from Little Guy and will report back later on how it performs.  

Winegard Rayzar TV Antenna

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    I ordered that stubby wpone. I have the Rayzar internal, and so far in state parks I've gotten bupkus. I'll try this stubby one, and see if I can get something with it.
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553

Xpadres -- I've heard that you need to be within 20 miles of a major broadcast signal to receive channels via the Rayzar.  I DO have the Rayzar, and I have been 50 miles away and still got good coverage; but I did have to move the panel to a different location. I guess it depends on where you are.  (Brings the saying to mind, "Wherever you go, there you are.")

I put the Rayzar on the inside of the window and then opened the window to the outermost position.  It worked great.      

:D
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    I will try that trick with the rayzar. Got my stubby in today... wow, is it stubby!
  • Options
    PaulaKPaulaK Member Posts: 54
    XPADREX said:
    I will try that trick with the rayzar. Got my stubby in today... wow, is it stubby!

X, it's unbelievably small, isn't it? We will probably end up buying something else as well. But for now we like how well this works in our driveway.

Paula & Larry | 2015 T@B S M@XX "Serenity"| 2014 Subaru Outback | Maple Grove, MN
  • Options
    TABooTABoo Member Posts: 30
    I have a MOHU leaf 50, which is a slim design unit similar to the Rayzar. It claims to work within 50 miles of signal and has worked great so far. I watched some of the NBA finals in crisp HD from Grayson Highlands SP in VA. I couldn't get any cell reception whatsoever, but tv was great. It also worked in Hunting Island state park. I would recommend it.