Options

Andersen WDS maintenance

AndreOAndreO Member Posts: 69
After 2 summers of use I took apart my Andersen WDS to repaint the retention ring. But also noted a space between the ball/cone and blue break lining. To my surprise it had a significant layer of fine sand/dust compressed between the two. The dust compressed and started to gouged the breah lining.

It actually makes sense now that I think of it. The retaining ring was added to hold the blue break lining in but in doing so they also created a funnel directing dirt and water right into the core of its mechanism.

See pictures.

Note that the black colored ball/cone should actually have a chrome appearance just like the ball. I was instructed by Andersen to use rubbing alcohol to clean the lining and a Brillo pad on the ball/cone. I found CLR with the Brillo pad was the only thing that cleaned it off.

Turns out you should probably inspect your Andersen every season!!!

I'm also going to see if I can fabricate some sort of rubber boot to help reduce the dust getting down in there. 

Andre

Update: Here's the boot. Its made from the inner tube of a wheelbarrow, cut to size with a 1" hole in the middle. I then just stretched it over the ball and secured it with a nylon tie.

Lets hope it works!

AndreO
Ontario, Canada
2018 Tab 400
Ford F150 2.7 Lariat

Comments

• Options
    RemoLynRemoLyn Member Posts: 5
    Hi I just received a new cone from Andersen that I intend to install.  I like your dust tweak with the inner tube! Btw:do you know the torque ft lbs. specs for the bolts that secure the flange on top?
  • Options
    AndreOAndreO Member Posts: 69
    I don't think they published that fir the screws. I just tighten them down securely however be aware that the threads are aluminum so don't over tighten.

On a side note the mod did eliminated the dust however water did get in once the rubber started to degrade. Yet it could not evaporate once inside. So rust did start up on the ball/cone. 

So a partial success. I'm going to see if I can find a more water permeable material to block dust but allow evaporation.

In the mean time I've switched the nylon for a pipe clamp with thumb screw and leave the rubber loose on top only then tightening it down if heading into a dusty area.
    AndreO
    Ontario, Canada
    2018 Tab 400
    Ford F150 2.7 Lariat