Options

Using Your 3 Way Fridge: My lessons learned

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
edited August 2015 in Tips & Tricks
I used my fridge on propane while boondocking last weekend and I marveled at how well it worked. I didn't always feel that way. :)

So, a year later, I went back and read my manual (again) about operating the 3 way fridge, as well as perused the Yahoo group. Here are some important things to keep in mind:

• If it is hot or humid, the manual recommends running it on AC or DC for 5 minutes before trying to ignite it on propane.
  • Make sure your T@b is relatively level. If it is not level, you may have difficulty lighting the fridge.
  • Make sure you pre-cool your fridge before you leave, on AC for optimal performance.
  • If you start your fridge on propane, and place warm items in the fridge, it will not properly refrigerate your food.
  • Your fridge is not designed to run on battery, alone, while you camp. The three way fridge uses a different type of compressor and uses almost 12ah. If camping, you need to plan to use AC or propane.
  • LG installs a high altitude kit, but you may still have some difficulties at higher elevation. Mine functioned without difficulty at around 9000'.
  • The thermocouple has been known to jiggle loose in transport. (HT: @ChanW)
  • Per a user in the Yahoo group, the 3163 (our model) is known to have ignition problems. Evidently, the igniter and burner are sometimes just far enough apart, that the arc does not quite connect. That user recommended slightly bending the igniter towards the burner (down or counter clockwise.) I am not recommending that you do or not do this - do at your own risk.
  • On propane, the fridge is extremely quiet.
  • The fridge does require a little battery to run. If your battery dies, you will be unable to light your fridge and it will not stay lit.
  • It helps to light your stove for 30 seconds, or so, to make sure the gas is flowing properly before trying to light the fridge.
  • Your TV might not produce enough power to keep your battery charged while the fridge is on battery. The fridge has a great seal. Try to alternate between using the fridge and turning it off every couple of hours if driving for several hours.
  • The Norcold uses a separate fuse. It is located under the cooktop.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    That's good stuff Jenn. Thanks.
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    RV frigs do not use a  compressor. They all work on thermal absorption. Which requires a heat source. IE flame on propane, 110 volt heating element on AC or a 12 volt heating element  DC. A 12 volt element draws a significant amount of power in order to generate enough heat. That is why the 12 volt setting is not practical unless you are connected to a constant power source such as your tow vehicle.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    RV frigs do not use a  compressor. They all work on thermal absorption. Which requires a heat source. IE flame on propane, 110 volt heating element on AC or a 12 volt heating element  DC. A 12 volt element draws a significant amount of power in order to generate enough heat. That is why the 12 volt setting is not practical unless you are connected to a constant power source such as your tow vehicle.
    The Norcold 3163 does not use a compressor, correct. Some RV fridges do. I believe the 2 way fridge does use a compressor.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Raine11937Raine11937 Member Posts: 2
    Does the frig use a lot of battery power? Is there a way to know how soon it would drain your battery?
  • Options
    Raine11937Raine11937 Member Posts: 2
    On propane of course, just the power for the electronic igniter is what I am asking.
  • Options
    Does the frig use a lot of battery power? Is there a way to know how soon it would drain your battery?
    On propane, it uses very little. Probably less than 1ah.

• Options
    T@BuhuraT@Buhura Member Posts: 97
    On propane of course, just the power for the electronic igniter is what I am asking.
    On propane it also runs a fan periodically; more often is ambient temperature is high. At the end of June we camped and outdoor temp was about 106F and the fan ran nearly constantly. It's what led me to get the solar panels as I was worried the battery wouldn't last through the long weekend.
    2006 Dutchman T@B T16, 2010 Volvo XC90 3.2 R-Design
  • Options
    T@Buhura said:
    On propane it also runs a fan periodically; more often is ambient temperature is high. At the end of June we camped and outdoor temp was about 106F and the fan ran nearly constantly. It's what led me to get the solar panels as I was worried the battery wouldn't last through the long weekend.
    You know, mine didn't run at all last weekend in the upper 80‘s. But, I have seen it run, before.

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Nice compilation Jenn. 

One thing I just realized, after seeing the photo of the 'Q' kitchen: the Norcold fuses and top of the fridge unit overall will be much harder to access in models that don't have the stovetop above the 3-way. 

We're lucky the stovetop comes out so easy in the 'S' model if only for servicing the 3-way.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I've been on a lot of dusty gravel roads and that cabinet below the fridge where the floor vent is gets real dusty - I'm thinking that dust might also get up into the fridge enclosure. Could dust affect the operation/efficiency? Do I need to somehow take a look?
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited August 2015
    I'd think that, if anything, the dust would only affect the cooling fins, but it probably wouldn't stick to them anyway, unless you do a lot of deep fat frying in your Tab.

I wouldn't worry about it, but the stove top is pretty darn easy to lift out, if you want to take a gander in there.

Do you cover the floor vent hole when you're rolling?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    I haven't covered it but I'm going to start I think.
  • Options
    You could probably fan a filter.

• Options
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    "fan a filter"?
    Autocorrect strikes, again. "Fab" a filter.

• Options
    cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    I recently took my 2015 max CS for fridge service: install the new fan kit and troubleshoot why fridge won't start on propane. They installed the fan and showed me the switch to operate and they were able to get propane to work and showed me. Turned off the fridge and came home. The regular fan that came with the 3way ran continually for 6 hours even though fridge was off. Dealer says it's because it's Phoenix and 115 degrees. Is the fan supposed to do that-keep on running even though fridge is of? I'm Afraid battery will run down. 
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    edited August 2015
    Are you sure it is the fridge "motor" and not the newly installed fan that is running? I'm not trying to be too obvious, but that new exhaust fan is switched, not on a thermostat.

If the fridge is off, I don't know why a fan would be running. We just brought our rig back from up by Show Low and as we unloaded here in the east valley yesterday (115°+) the fridge was off and there was no fan running.
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    cbarnhill said:
    I recently took my 2015 max CS for fridge service: install the new fan kit and troubleshoot why fridge won't start on propane. They installed the fan and showed me the switch to operate and they were able to get propane to work and showed me. Turned off the fridge and came home. The regular fan that came with the 3way ran continually for 6 hours even though fridge was off. Dealer says it's because it's Phoenix and 115 degrees. Is the fan supposed to do that-keep on running even though fridge is of? I'm Afraid battery will run down. 
    A CS means "clamshell" and they don't have 3-way refrigerators with propane. 

You must have an S model with the Shower and a three way fridge next to the door, under the stove in the cabin. There's a panel above the fridge with buttons for 110V, 12V, or propane, or off. There is a fan behind the panel to the left of the fridge that will run to exhaust hot air down through the floor.  When the fridge is off, this fan should turn off. Your new fan would have been installed on the outside wall, with an on/off button located above the fridge. This new fan can only run if it's in the on position. So, for one of the fans to run, one of the buttons had to be in a position other than off. The only other noises inside would be the water pump (switch next to the sink) or the A/C fan switch located next to the A/C. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    I checked-it's not the new fan that was just installed with the on/off switch. I can hear that one go on and off when I switch it. It's a fan located in the panel to the left of the fridge. Fridge totally off but fan kept running. Dealer was going to look at it but it had stopped before then. 
  • Options
    Puppy, is the switch for the fridge in the "off" position?   
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    PlaycPlayc Member Posts: 234
    cbarnhill said:
    I checked-it's not the new fan that was just installed with the on/off switch. I can hear that one go on and off when I switch it. It's a fan located in the panel to the left of the fridge. Fridge totally off but fan kept running. Dealer was going to look at it but it had stopped before then. 
    cbarnhill - I have had the similar noise, can hear a fan running even with everything turned off.  And after a while the noise is gone.

Believe it is the battery charging fan.  Once battery is fully charged, the fan is shutoff automatically.
    2015 S Sofitel, Austin/Houston
  • Options
    GeoffGeoff Member Posts: 1
    I love the Norcold refrigerator but get a lot of water build up in the frig.  Should I have a pan under the fins to catch the water? Any advice how to manage this?
  • Options
    Geoff said:
    I love the Norcold refrigerator but get a lot of water build up in the frig.  Should I have a pan under the fins to catch the water? Any advice how to manage this?
    I just keep a microfiber washcloth handy and wipe out the bottom of the fridge whenever I get into the fridge. The microfiber dries quickly and it's ready for the next time.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    I have found that freezing some small water bottles before leaving on a trip and placing those in the fridge while under way will keep the fridge nice and cool for the (already refrigerated) food.  The other benefit is that there is nice cold water to drink once the T@B is set up on AC or propane at the camp site.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    Since I'm on the road and can't pre-freeze anything, I'll fill a tupperware type container with ice cubes and throw it in if I need to run with the fridge off.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Since I'm on the road and can't pre-freeze anything, I'll fill a tupperware type container with ice cubes and throw it in if I need to run with the fridge off.
    That's a great solution.

• Options
    Jenn - Learned the hard way. Made the mistake of just throwing a bag of ice in and discovered that ice bags leak like a sieve. Ended up with a fridge full of water :-(
  • Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    edited August 2015
    PXLated said:
    If I'm in one day place for a couple of days I have been known to put a couple of small water bottles in the freezer that holds the ice cubes for sale.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    Verna said:
    Puppy, is the switch for the fridge in the "off" position?   
    Yes it is. That's what is confusing me. PlayC, above, has a similar problem and thinks it is a battery cooling fan.  I am familiar with the noise coming from the electric box which occurs when I hook up to shore power but this one is in the panel next to fridge. 
  • Options
    Why don't you just pull the #2 fuse in the fuse panel - that's the fridge - would think the fan would quit if it is in fact the fridge.