Using Your 3 Way Fridge: My lessons learned

Comments

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    PXLated: bingo!!!
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Puppy, I'm curious because I would think the Off switch for the fridge would turn the left fan off.  Yes, please pull the fuse PXLated referred to so we can figure this one out. Thanks
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    No, the original fridge fan, in the left panel of the fridge, should not run if the fridge is 'off'. The power to this fan comes from the main switch, which then goes though a thermostat that senses the temperature of the cooling fins in the fridge condenser coils.

The power will only flow if the fridge is 'on', and the coil temp is quite warm.

Is it possible the fan was wired in there wrong?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    The next time this occurs, I will pull the fridge fuse to see.  Yes, I'm concerned that it may be wired wrong. Thx for all your help. I love this forum. I wager no other trailer gets this kind of assistance..it's a tab thing...
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Jenn - Found something better than Tupperware...
    Tupperware type containers are rigid and take up a fixed amount of space. A bag of ice can be squished it but they leak. So, got to thinking. If a dry bag will protect your goodies from getting wet, you could probably put ice inside, seal and it wouldn't leak water. Works like a champ. Set of three sizes at Walmart for $10.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    PXLated said:
    Jenn - Found something better than Tupperware...
    Tupperware type containers are rigid and take up a fixed amount of space. A bag of ice can be squished it but they leak. So, got to thinking. If a dry bag will protect your goodies from getting wet, you could probably put ice inside, seal and it wouldn't leak water. Works like a champ. Set of three sizes at Walmart for $10.
    Nice!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    Px, I just use regular freezer bags (1 or 2 gallon).  They're double sealed and I just reuse them.  Since they're double sealed, I think the are a bit more waterproof than the the dry bags as I understand it.  They have other uses, so I just keep a box in storage with 15 or so for when I need them0.
  • Options
    mash2 - I've had leaky double-seal bags if the get squished. So far the dry bags are working but we'll see.
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    Let me know.  I've been using double sealed, double bagged ziplocs with some success but would welcome something a bit stronger.  
  • Options
    The ziplocks wear out, too. The dry bags are seem like they are more reusable.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    PlaycPlayc Member Posts: 234
    A silly question - While not in use for few weeks, stored in garage, and connected to AC110, should the refrig
    1. be turned off (to save energy) or
    2. leave it on all the time (and keep few bottles of water there) 

TIA
    2015 S Sofitel, Austin/Houston
  • Options
    I'd turn it off and leave it cracked open.
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    I agree with PXL...leave it off to breathe (and we crack the door open as well).  BTW...we use a 3/4 full 1-gal jug of frozen water to pre-cool the fridge the night before we go on a trip (which I think someone else mentioned).  The jug just fits into the side/back of the fridge, and the next morning it's a nice 40-deg or so.

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Ok, I retract my Walmart dry bag endorsement. They don't really leak like an ice bag but they sweat so you do get water in the bottom of the fridge. I think these could be classified as water resistant rather than water tight. I think the concept is sound but I have to find a better dry bag.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Ok, I retract my Walmart dry bag endorsement. They don't really leak like an ice bag but they sweat so you do get water in the bottom of the fridge. I think these could be classified as water resistant rather water tight. I think the concept is sound but I have to find a better dry bag.
    Yeah, that doesn't aurprise me. My Scrubba bag sweats, too.

• Options
    Need what Kayakers use probably.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

Everything I had in my "good" kayak bags survived dry after a dunk in a large reservoir from my kayak.  The lesser expensive bags (such as the cell phone bag) did not save my cell phone.  I cannot speak for the sweating issue, as I haven't tried them in the fridge.

Buy the "better" kayak bags (not the Walmart kind...sorry, Walmart) from a sporting goods store and your fishing equipment and cell phones will stay dry in a lake.

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Ok, I retract my Walmart dry bag endorsement. They don't really leak like an ice bag but they sweat so you do get water in the bottom of the fridge. I think these could be classified as water resistant rather than water tight. I think the concept is sound but I have to find a better dry bag.
    What about filling a couple of regular Nalgene wide mouth bottles with ice? I would think 2-4 bottles would do the trick and give you cold water to drink when done.

• Options
    Until I can find some good dry bags, I've been putting the ice in baggies and then in the cheap dry bags - works pretty good, the baggies leak a little and the dry bags keep the water contained. Drink the ice cold baggie water.
  • Options
    AnneLarkAnneLark Member Posts: 15
    I would expect condensation on any bag, box, or bottle that has ice in it, placed in an enclosed place with moisture in the air. A linen towel in the bottom might be the trick for absorbing condensation?
    Traveling with The Tiny T@B@rn@cle
  • Options
    AnneLarkAnneLark Member Posts: 15
    We have been freezing factory sealed water bottles to pre-cool the refrigerator, and drink them when they thaw.

Traveling with The Tiny T@B@rn@cle
  • Options
    AnneLark - Ya, I use one of those old style flour sack dishtowels :-)
  • Options
    AnneLark said:
    We have been freezing factory sealed water bottles to pre-cool the refrigerator, and drink them when they thaw.

That only works when you are leaving from home, not for longer, multi-stop trips or those who are FT.

• Options
    2canoe2canoe Member Posts: 74
    I found the rack in the refrig was limiting how much I could put in there so I took it out.  I found two shoe box size plastic storage boxes that fit nicely and I can still fit 4 quart jars on top of them.  It turns out that the small bag of ice will just fit into one of these.  We used the refrig in all modes icebox, 12 volt, 110, and propane.  We were very happy.  Oh, the storage in the door was a puzzle for me but I found that one of my old, flat Tupperware containers will stand on end there and not fall out.  Stored my cheeses and some precooked yams and potatoes in it.
    2canoe, 2015 T@B Q-Max
  • Options
    I made it to my destination for the evening just in time to avoid the deluge. I noticed a few minutes ago that my three way fridge had blown out. This in another lesson learned that I forgot to mention. Wind gusts can blow out the propane fridge.

• Options
    Blowing thru the front vents?
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    I beg to differ, 2 1/2 months towing with propane on, (my choice) never a blow out from gusts when towing.  WI to WY to AZ to UT to CO and back.  

• Options
    Sandra said:
    That's why you run it on the battery when you are towing.
    I was parked.

• Options
    Hmmmm - I was in 50mph wind with gusts to 65 at a slight angle to those front vents, surprised it didn't blow it out. I figured the design of those front vents must prevent that. Evidently not.
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    :-(

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...