Options

Dogs and camping and how do you do it?

Wife and I are starting to think that maybe it's time to look at adopting a dog again.  One of our concerns would be, what do we do with the pup if we take them on our camping adventures?

First and foremost, we'd 99.9% for sure look at a rescue, not a puppy but not a senior (probably,) and not a "ohgodohgod I gotta do something someone take me for a walk or let me chase that squirell or throw a ball or something PLEASE" massively active breed.  Think more along the lines of a dog with a personality of "yeah, you go on your long walk, I'm fine right here on the couch for now" breed / personalities.

Leaving aside ensuring the campgrounds you go to (because we're not ready to boondock yet) need to be pet-friendly, what about those trips off the campground?  Say we decide to go into the local town for some of the day.

Do you keep your dog in your camper, with the air on if it's a hot day and maybe the blinds partially closed (or all the way) and the ceiling vent open?  Obviously with fresh water and maybe some dry food available as well.

Or do you plan your excursions into town so the dog can go with you?

What about if you're going to take bikes off to ride a trail or such?

We know dog-boarding (or getting someone to house / dog-sit) is an option, but if the dog can come along and enjoy some adventures to rub in the cats' noses when we get back...
----------------------------------------------------------
Jay and Kat
Tow vehicle:  2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S + tow package
Camper:  2022 T@B 400 Boondock w/Norcold 3-way fridge

Comments

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @Jay_and_Kat if you might go on day adventures, consider having your pet stay at a local vet. Many day board pets. Keep your current records with you as a veterinarian will not day board your pet without them.

While traveling with my niece and her 50-60 lbs of canine love, we found veterinarians in Moab, Colorado Springs, Oklahoma City and in Arkansas who day boarded her dog while we "extreme jeeped", went sightseeing and visited a winery etc. 

Keeping the dog at a vet assures there will be one on one contact with your pet and that literally any emergency can be handled immediately. It's the ultimate security blanket for concerned or anxious owners. I recommend considering this option. -Denise
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    @Jay_and_Kat it also depends on the dog. I camp mostly in state parks and they all say that you may not leave your dog alone. However I’ve done it, as do many campers. Some campers use Rover, a dog sitting service with good results. My first rescue pup was quiet anyway, never once barked in the years I brought him with me. I miss him. My newest rescue pup is much more vocal, but I’ve still been able to leave her. I always leave the fan vent just cracked open, keep the blinds open so she can see out, leave the radio on, heat or AC on depending on the weather. I also tape a note inside my window (but facing out) by the door that says “If there is a problem with Maggie please call me (leave cell number). Now I know that if there’s an issue they know her name and have my number(I don’t leave my name.) I’ve started with short times, swung by to listen for barking, and have been able to leave for up to around three hours. Maggie has been just fine, will bark if there’s another dog barking close by, and then she settles down again. I always have the side windows accessible for her to look out of. She will settle down and has done just fine being left alone. It can be done, There is an app that you can monitor the inside temps in case power goes down so your pup won’t die. There are camera devices with apps so you can check in visually. I’ve never used any of them. Best of luck and happy camping!

2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    The two dogs I had before Rocky (both Coonhound rescues) would not have worked as camping dogs. The level of separation anxiety made them destructive. So, for the first season, I had my T@b, and that dog stayed with family or my dog sitter. 

When I chose Rocky, I did not get a rescue because I needed a bit more predictable behavior. No, you can't guarantee how a dog will respond, but when you start with a puppy, you can begin to acclimate them a bit younger to the camper and campgrounds. For the first season, Rocky stayed mostly with family while I camped. This gave him time to learn the manners needed for camping without it being a time of constant correction.

I also put a fair amount of time (and some money) into training him. It has made him more confident and I can trust that he won't run off on me in strange surroundings. 

Rocky isn't perfect, but he is a great camping companion 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    marleecampsmarleecamps Member Posts: 133
    As mentioned previously, a lot will depend upon the personality of the dog(s) itself in terms of adaptability to new situations, separation anxiety, etc.

As for me and my now 2-year-old corgi pup, we camp quite well together.  But then again, she had her first camping adventure at the tender age of 15 weeks, so she views the Bella Villa as our second home.  We visit a lot of state parks during the summer season, with hiking a main activity.  So she is rarely left alone for any length of time - and typically is napping after a good hike.

During our five-week road trip through New England last year, the vast majority of our activities enabled her to be with me -- sight seeing, hiking, etc.  And since it was fall, temps were cool enough I could leave her in the Jeep for an hour or two as needed.  But there were a couple of days where I wanted to do things where she was not allowed and I was not comfortable leaving her in the camper for the entire day by herself (and in some cases, this isn't allowed by campgrounds anyway).  In those situations, I pre-booked a local doggie daycare for her.  She spent the day romping and making new friends, and I could enjoy my adventure without worrying about her.  You do need to plan ahead - they can fill up quickly, and usually proof of updated vaccine status is required.

Also, consider your target camping destinations.  A few national parks (e.g. Acadia) are very dog friendly, while others not so much (Glacier, Rocky Mtn).  Dogs are very welcome at Minnesota and Wisconsin state park campgrounds, but not allowed in other states (Connecticut, for example).  Seems like most commercial or private campgrounds are dog friendly, but always wise to check.  

I have also taken a couple of outings with family members where it was not in either of our best interest for her to join us.  Fortunately, I am blessed with good friends who view her as their second dog (and their dog is mine), so she is happy and comfortable staying with her other family in those situations.

So, it works well for us.  And in fact, I can't imagine camping without her on a regular basis.

Best of luck.

--Marlee & faithful sidekick Charlotte
    --Marlee
    2021 Tab400 Boondock; TV 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee; Minnesota
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    Dogs love to go along. They love to camp and most campgrounds allow you to bring pets. There are or may be different campsites for folks with dogs. Most campgrounds will require that your pet has all of it's shot's (rabis!) and will ask you to provide a current copy of the vaccination records from your vet. 
    If you bring a dog, make sure that it is not a wild and crazy disruptive dog. Yappy, aggressive, barky dogs will not endear you with anyone. Big dogs challenge the available space both inside the TV and your camper. Smaller dogs like Corgi's, Chihuahuas (but boy do they bark) are better suited. A breed with good energy that you can take along on hikes makes for a good companion.
    Campgrounds usually require that you leash your dog. You should bring a portable run to stake your dogs at your campsite. Be sure your dog is wearing an ID with your cell number on it. If you walk your dog around, be sure to pick up their droppings. 
    We do leave our dogs inside the camper occasionally. When we do, we let our camping neighbors know and we leave either a fan or AC running. In over 15 years of camping, it's never been a problem.
  • Options
    Basil48192Basil48192 Member Posts: 266
    Finn loves camping, but we do mostly 'back woods' dispersed camping.  We are struggling with what to do this summer as we hope to visit some national parks.  I don't really want to burden someone for 3 weeks+, but know that the parks we plan on visiting are not a great fit for dogs.
  • Options
    GregChrisGregChris Member Posts: 189
    Going to Skidaway,Ga tomorrow with Sulley, from Akron, Oh
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    edited February 2023
     Minnie was a 9lb chihuahua mix that traveled all over with me. The advantage of a small dog is that if you can get them used to a being in a carrier you can pretty much take them anywhere. I had a Timbuktu dog carrier that looked like an ordinary backpack so no one ever knew. She went into a lot of nice restaurants and some museums. 🤫 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab