Options

Noisy Inverter on 2020 T@B 400 Boondock

ProjectmanProjectman Member Posts: 4
Just bought the T@B from a local seller.  I noticed when turning on the inverter it was quite loud.  Sounds like the cooling fan inside the inverter is noisy.  It got quieter after a few minutes, but I’m afraid to use it when going on a long trip this summer.  Any quick fixes?  Do I have to replace the inverter?

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,670
    What year trailer, and what model?
    " Inverter" would be the big blue looking box in the battery compartment in a late model 400? Sounds like this is what you are talking about if you can turn it on and off.

Or, the converter: the black box near the floor with all the fuses and circuit breakers?
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    ProjectmanProjectman Member Posts: 4
    The year number and model are in the title of my post.  2020 T@B 400 Boondock.  On battery power and powered up the inverter from the button by the front door.
  • Options
    rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 488
    edited February 2023
    We have the same vintage/model TAB, and the inverter just makes a gentle buzz (60 Hz) and a faint whoosh from the fan if no load is connected.  Things get noisier once one applies a load.
    If your inverter is noisy at no load, it is faulty, and if the noise bugs you, replacement is probably the only option.
    Some others on the forum have updated their inverters so they can power the microwave.  They might have a 2nd hand inverter available.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 590
    I will have a brand new AIMS 1200 watt inverter for sale first of April once it's removed from my new 400. 
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    Phil0110Phil0110 Member Posts: 10

there are a few things you can try before deciding to replace it:

1. Clean the fan: The fan may be clogged with dust and debris, which can cause it to run louder than usual. You can try cleaning the fan with a can of compressed air or a soft brush.

2. Check the placement: Make sure the inverter is installed in a well-ventilated area. If it's placed in a confined space, the cooling fan will have to work harder to keep the inverter cool, which can cause it to be noisier than usual.

3. Replace the fan: If cleaning the fan doesn't help, you may need to replace it. You can check the manufacturer's website or contact their customer support to see if they offer replacement fans for your specific inverter model.

4. Upgrade the inverter: If the noise is persistent and none of the above steps help, it may be time to consider upgrading to a newer, quieter inverter e.g. Champion Power Equipment 20098 Many newer inverters are designed with quieter fans and improved cooling systems.

It's important to remember that while some noise from the inverter is normal, excessive noise can be a sign of a problem.