Options

Sagging Front Window Screen Valance

sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
edited August 2015 in Products and Accessories
I know this has been discussed in the past and I know several have had their front screen replaced because of the sag.
I'd hoped the newer T@Bs had this problem corrected but have watched our window develope the same problem over the last several months. Has anyone come up with a repair or brace to stop the sag?  I'm stumpt.
It I have to replace the screen I'll be going to a different manufacturer.

Comments

• Options
    Correction 
    It's the front window screen not scene. Sorry
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Sabel, for warranty work, you do still to start with you dealer. They will have knowledge and experience to help you.

If it has been over a year since you took possession of your T@B, you have the choice of staying with your dealer or going elsewhere.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Verna
    Mine will still be under warranty until Spring but I don't  think simply replacing it will solve the problem. It needs or be reinforced or braced at center span. 
    Our dealer is 130 miles away too.

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    In the previous discussion of this, someone took a thin metal plate and attached it inside the frame of their replacement frame as I recall. Stiffened it up. Thought the factory was looking into doing something like this on new T@B but could be wrong.
    I have the sag and have a replacement waiting to be shipped to me. Does't sound like it's much of a job to replace.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    sabel said:
    Verna
    Mine will still be under warranty until Spring but I don't  think simply replacing it will solve the problem. It needs or be reinforced or braced at center span. 
    Our dealer is 130 miles away too.

Sabel, that's the only way you can get it taken care of. If you choose to exchange photos with the dealer and have the replacement parts shipped to you and you do the work yourself, that would save you the 260 round trip. I would consider that because it would be easier for me, unless I just needed an excuse to go camping ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Think I'll wait until Spring and see if it gets worse. 
    Thanks
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Mine's pretty saggy but it doesn't affect the operation much so I haven't replaced it yet - But I did talk to Ed at the factory and sent a pic so the part is logged and covered.
  • Options
    Maybe I'll at least email the factory with a photo to document it. Good idea.
    See if they've got a quick fix.
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709

Has anyone successfully installed the sagging window shade frame clip on the driver's side window? See how the wood valence comes down so low you can't see or get access to the horizontal/top piece of the frame to attach the clip? Also even if I could get to it, I didn't find any instructions on how to put the little black clip on. The "sagging frame" posts say folks fixed theirs but no details. PXL's clip is way different from what Elsie sent me.

Thanks.

Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Search "flipping window shades" page 2. There is a tool you may be able to use to install the clip.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Yep - I still want to get that - however, it may help in unscrewing the top end screws for the shade (still would have to "find" the screw - can't see up there due to the valence being low). But it would work (I don't think) to put the clip on. Sure the clip is held with a screw but one would need to use a drill or something to start the hole - correct? And I'm only assuming the entire shade needs to be taken off. I don't the know specific instructions on doing this. Wish I was at Tearstock and have the factory do it (and other things)!

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    I put the clip on the front window.  If I recall, you'll have to remove the entire shade/screen assembly, insert the clip screw into the wall behind the top shade/screen frame and then reinstall the shade assembly.  This is going to be really difficult to do because of the valance being in the way.  However, you may be able to get the clip screw started by using a small, narrow hammer to tap it into the wall.  You can then use the ratcheting screwdriver to finish screwing it in.
  • Options
    Perhaps I'll take the factory up on their authorization to take it to the local dealer to do the work (hopefully they will be familiar with what to do!).  

• Options
    Michele - that's a great idea!  It would be a difficult project at best.  Better to let a professional do it.
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I just bought a set of new screens/shades at Tearstock. Marvin and his crew got overwhelmed with service requests and didn't have time to install them. Mine came with the little black clips to avoid the sagging. I installed them at Tearstock myself, but didn't put in the clips. (Didn't have a level, and borrowed someone's drill, and it was a bit wimpy). I still have the clips, and when I get a round tuit, will remove and reinstall the clips. Also, the holes from the old Dutchmen screens show, so need to add the same decorative trim I have around my screen door.

I'm glad I bought them, really like the look, and no more worries of us kicking or banging our heads against them when sleeping and them flying up on us. (We sleep wheel to wheel in our clam).

My main concern was their room darkening power, and they are just as dark as the original ones.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL