Tab 400 mattress topper or replacement

We just bought a 2023 tab 400. The three part mattress doesn’t seem that comfortable for long term use. The size seems between full and king. Wondering if anyone can share their experience with replacing with a solid mattress or adding a topper. 

Comments

• mikeleesmikelees Member Posts: 3
    Sorry, size seems between full and queen. 
  • berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 958
    Check this link out.  We love the Exped.  It allows you to keep the three piece mattress, which makes access to the utility compartment much easier than having a thick full size mattress.  The Exped can be adjusted to your own comfort level, firm or soft or in between.  

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/191711#Comment_191711
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • marleecampsmarleecamps Member Posts: 129
    I, too, have the Exped - new addition late last summer based on recommendations by forum members.  I also have a queen pillowtop topper purchased at Bed Bath & Beyond because I like a cushy bed.  Very comfortable.
    --Marlee
    2021 Tab400 Boondock; TV 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee; Minnesota
    I also like that the Exped is dual purpose for us.  Even though it is mostly in the T@b we can easily take it out and use it in the house if the nieces and nephews come over or use it when we truck camp. 
    Leadville Colorado
  • Jay_and_KatJay_and_Kat Member Posts: 212
    We bought a topper from a foam distributor near us, they'll do custom sizes although I think the Full was close enough we went with that.  We even asked them to cut it down the middle long-way so we could flop it over to get into the under-bed storage easier.

We trimmed out the weird corner under the TV ourselves with a sharp pair of scissors, so the mattress lays nice and flat.

https://www.thefoamfactory.com/mattress/conventional.html
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Jay and Kat
    Tow vehicle:  2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S + tow package
    Camper:  2022 T@B 400 Boondock w/Norcold 3-way fridge
  • mikeleesmikelees Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the suggestions. We already had an Exped from our Salmon River trip and I didn’t even consider using it. I measured it and it is very close for size. I’ll try it out. Just joined this forum and it’s already paying off!
    If you have the megamat duo in size long wide it fits great in the 400. It's just a few inches narrower so it won't block the gap along the rear wall and prevent the heat from coming out. 
    Leadville Colorado
  • qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    We found the a memory foam topper made the difference in our 400. We tried cutting regular foam first and it was too hot. The cotton cover on this one works well, with good support despite not being very thick.
    It can be ordered for the T@B 400 size.

https://www.mattressinsider.com/rv-mattress-topper.html

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 538
    We now use an Exped after forum suggestions and it has worked out really well. The access to the underbed storage and Alde compartment is much improved from our previous memory foam Mattress. We had taken out the original three part mattress and in its place used a 8” memory foam mattress. The Exped with the original mattresses is lighter and with its adjustable firmness has been the best solution yet for us. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    Another Exped user thanks to @bergger. Didn't quite know what to do with the topper we already had. We simply added it as top layer and the composite is at least as good as bed in home. Whole thing is not too deep. Plenty of room to swing in and out of the bed without whacking head.
    2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM
  • RTWCTSRTWCTS Member Posts: 102
    We originally read this discussion a few months ago. The stock mattress has been comfortable enough for a few short, local trips. We do spend more than a month at a time on the road and were concerned about long term comfort with our somewhat used up bodies. Since REI has the Exped on sale through Memorial Day, we picked one up to try. I must admit that I ended up taking a nap while testing it out today. We're so glad @bergger found this and shared the info! Well Done... and thanks!
    2023 TAB 400 Boondock
    2018 T@B 320 Sold
    Racing the Wind and Chasing the Sun
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    For those still thinking about an Exped Megamat as a topper, REI has them priced at 30% off through 9/4. Picked one up for possible car camping…shhhh, don’t tell my trailer! 😁 
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 604
    We picked up one of those last month and love it way more than the memory foam it replaced.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • JamesCJamesC Member Posts: 62
    Just put the Exped topper in our 2018 400 and can’t wait to try it out on our next trip. It makes it look like a real bed!
    2018 T@B 400, 2015 F150 tow vehicle. 
  • HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 604
    The other benefit of the Exped is that it's much lighter than memory foam, making getting under the bed much easier.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Doug_EdwardsDoug_Edwards Member Posts: 4
    We just got a 3 inch memory foam from Wally World and combined it with a 1 inch egg crate foam we already had. Pretty comfortable. We are just getting started so we may adjust for weight and/or accessibility to storage, over time. I may also install a drawer to access under-bed storage.
    Doug

2022 400 Boondock
    2023 Tacoma TRD Sport

Western Maine
  • xdrxdr Member Posts: 259
    @JamesC your bed looks great! We just put our new Exped on the bed but haven’t made it up yet. Have you had an opportunity to use it with the heat on? Our only concern with this mattress is that it will block the vent along the back wall. 
    I assume you still have the factory mattress under the Exped, is that right? 

For those with experience using the Exped- did you replace or remove the original mattress when using the Exped? 
    Mary 
    2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.
    If you get the long double wide size it will not block the heat vent as it is just an in or two narrower than the bed. Its a great fit. Just make sure your bedding does not cover the vent. 

Don't remove the factory mattress. We tried that. Its much more comfortable placed on top of the factory mattress.  Also the exped is very noisy if placed directly on top of the froli springs. Totally silent when placed on top of the factory mattress. 
    Leadville Colorado
  • johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    We have factory mattress, Exped and 2" memory foam on top. Really had no place nor reason to store memory foam. Even with all of that, heat does get through from back Alde convectors. Our house Serta leaves me with occasional slight backache. Exped sandwich does not.
    2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM
  • xdrxdr Member Posts: 259
    Great to know! Thanks 
    2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.
  • JamesCJamesC Member Posts: 62
    edited September 2023
    To xdr; We just came back from a three night trip to the Olympic National Park and had the best sleep we’ve ever gotten in the tab. We did leave the old mattress under the exped but used minimal heat due to mild weather this last week. I highly recommend this upgrade for the tab 400. 
    2018 T@B 400, 2015 F150 tow vehicle.