Options

Prodigy Trailer Brakes

EndoEndo Member Posts: 12
Hi gang, is anyone out there using the "wireless" brake system called Prodigy by Tekonsha?  My question is can you pair it to another vehicle? we have it paired to the Highlander and wondering if it could be paired to the Tacoma. 

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Yes, you can pair it to another vehicle. That is why I convinced my sister to buy one. She doesn't have a tow vehicle yet, so she is using mine. She didn't have to pay for installation on my Tacoma and she won't have to pay for it on her tow vehicle when she gets one. And, knowing her, she'll be trading campers every few years so she can just move it from camper to camper, too. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    I believe that it's paired to the remote that plugs into the TV's 12 volt outlet, and not the car. You only have to pair it once.  For me, it was difficult mounting the unit on the frame. The self taping screws just didn't want to go in. It has worked well on our two trips.
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options
    EndoEndo Member Posts: 12
    edited August 2015
    Verna may I ask how it pulls behind the Tacoma? I have 2014 V6 4X4 and how and I was thinking a 4inch drop receiver would be good. Thanks all
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Endo, the T@B pulls wonderfully with the Tacoma. Don't expect super duper gas mileage and you won't be disappointed. But, the Tacoma has plenty of power. I have the tow package with the transmission and oil coolers and I have no worries about it. It towed a Silver Shadow for 8200 miles last winter in the Southwest (approximately 1500 lbs loaded).  I've towed the T@B about 1,000 miles and I can't tell it's there. I take it out of Drive and put it in 4th gear when towing and it doesn't need to downshift at all. Of course I haven't been through the Rockies yet with her ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    moniraqmoniraq Member Posts: 46
    We have the Tekonsha Prodigy wireless and it is paired to both my 2010 Tacoma 4x4 and an Acura MDX.   Just curious what 'setting' you have the hand held controller set to, and do you use the "boost" feature.   I'm not sure our dealer gave us good advise when they installed it.   He had us go about 10 mph in neutral and trigger the controller so we just felt a "slight tug", so we're only set at 2.5.   He warned us that the brakes on the trailer are small and will wear out if set too high.  But I'm concerned about if someone does slam on their brakes in front of us that the trailer could jack-knife if it doesn't brake the same as the tow vehicle.  So what settings are you using?
    I use the same brake controller. I keep it on "boost 1" (I think that is the setting for a trailer that is lighter than the tow vehicle) and I keep my brake setting between 6-7. I was taught (and I think the instructions say the same thing) that you should run your vehicle up to about 25-30 mph and hit the brake button. If the brakes are too light to stop the trailer, increase the setting until it stops the trailer without locking the wheels.

I looked it up and found these instructions from the manual: "To adjust the power, connect trailer to the tow vehicle and with the engine running hold the manual knob full left and set power knob to 6.0. Then, drive the tow vehicle and trailer on a dry,level surface at 25 mph and fully apply the manual knob. If the trailer brakes lock up, turn the power down. If the braking was not sufficient, turn the power up. Repeat the step above until the power has been set to just below wheel lock up.

The power will need to be adjusted for different load weights and road conditions.

The boost settings on the brake controller are used for when you will want the trailer braking to lead the tow vehicles braking. Also, when towing a trailer that will weigh the same or more than the tow vehicle. The more the trailer weighs than the tow vehicle, the more boost is needed. Each level in boost will start out with a higher power setting and will increase with deceleration. So the heavier the trailer you are towing the higher the boost level."
    Monica (aka GlobeDiva)
    2014 T@b Max "Q"
    TV: 2015.5 Volvo XC60 T5
  • Options
    ironshadowironshadow Member Posts: 48
    I also have one. Love it! Easy to adjust. I set it a bit stronger when behind the Subaru Outback.. Lighter when behind my pickup. 
  • Options
    gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169
    I had my Prodigy set by a "technician" at a dealer near Sacramento and had to reset it according to the written instructions to make problems go away.  We differed in setting by a factor of two.  That was the same dealer that registered our T@B as a Coach Trailer (at over $200 with annual registration required) rather than a Camp Trailer (for $20 with renewal every five years in California).
    Just follow the Prodigy instructions (they are also available as an on line download).
    Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim