Options

"Selkirk Loop" in PNW suggestions?

MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
We hope to take a week and do the loop in September in our 320S. Any suggestions for "must sees" and private sites / campgrounds? We primarily dry camp and prefer no power sites. Community camping is not our thing.  We like to stop in an area and do some 5-10 mile hikes then move on.  We've spent a week doing this on Vancouver Island a few years ago and loved the parks there. Hoping to find a similar and easier to reserve or get sites.  Hoping September will remove some hoards from the campgrounds.  Thanks
Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
managed by VE Smart Network

Comments

• Options
    stephengstepheng Member Posts: 109
    I did this several years ago as a cycling trip in early August.  Great place to go.  I suggest you go to https://selkirkloop.org  and look at the resources there - also order the Travel Guide. Should be a nice trip.

2022 T@B 320S Boondock
  • Options
    XenanMeXenanMe Member Posts: 74
    Kokanee Creek Provincial Park just north of Nelson is beautiful. Especially the Sandspit campground loop.  Highly recommend snagging a site there. 
  • Options
    XenanMeXenanMe Member Posts: 74
    We also like Riley Creek Rec Area between Sandpoint and Newport.  Excellent little campground with access to the lake.  And we have stayed at Outlet Bay campground on Priest Lake (if you are taking that detour).  That was another small and pretty site.  Not as busy as the other sites up that way.
  • Options
    WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 188
    +1 on Kokanee Creek Provincial Park.  If you can stay there for several days, I'd recommend making a side trip to Ainsworth Hot Springs on the west side of Kootenay Lake.  Make sure to go into the caves.  It's pretty neat.  Also, I'd take a day drive on Hwy 3 over the top of the Selkirks.  Head south out of Nelson on Hwy 6 to Salmo, then take Hwy 3 over the top to Creston, then north to the ferry and back to Kokanee.  It's a very nice drive.  

I'd also think about modifying the loop just a bit.  Rather than head straight from Bonners Ferry to Creston, stay on Hwy 95 and camp at Copper Creek campground on the Moyie River, just south of the BC entry port of Kingsgate.  It's a small USFS campground that would be pretty quiet that time of year.  It's fairly primitive with no services and pit toilets with some nice driving/hiking options nearby.  Then take Hwy 95 into Canada and go to Creston via Hwy 3, then head north to Crawford Bay and the ferry terminal.

Enjoy the loop.  It should be beautiful that time of year.  
    2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    @WayneW @XenanMe - Just wanted to say thanks for the tips. We spent 3 nights in a nice private campsite in the Sandspit loop and loved it - even had a bear wander through the site opposite us. We also went to Copper Creek CG and it was wonderful -- free after Labor Day, only one other camper there and we hiked the falls. Over our 8 nights, we went on many delightful hikes (waterfalls on most of them - the Kootenai Fall in MT are incredible!) and great views as well as picturesque towns. Thank you for the input! Cees (Mark's wife)
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network