Options

Difficulty priming water system.

I’m not sure if anyone else has struggled with this but thought that there might be someone who could benefit from my difficulty. I have been having trouble getting the water pump to prime off and on since last year. I even changed the water pump out before our last trip of the year. I have also tried to be diligent in keeping the fresh water system clean and sanitized since getting my 400 in 2019 and regularly clean the filter attached to the pump. 
This week I began preparing the trailer for the season by flushing out the antifreeze and sanitizing the system but could not get it to prime even after running the pump for an extended time. My feeling was that it was sucking air from somewhere. When it finally did prime, there was a massive leak at the filter housing. Upon removal and examination I could , with the aid of bright light, see hairline cracks in the clear housing of the filter. A new one was purchased and installed and the system achieved prim in less than a minute. 
If your water system is slow to prime or won’t prime you might find almost invisible cracks in the clear housing for the filter. They didn’t leak until they were larger but they allowed air to enter the line preventing prime. 
2018 T@B 400, 2015 F150 tow vehicle. 

Comments

• Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 618
    Thanks.  That's a good reminder to remove the filter bowl and shake the water out when winterizing so retained water doesn't freeze and crack the housing.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    XenanMeXenanMe Member Posts: 74
    I had the same thing happen although the cover was no longer clear.  It turned an opaque white colour.  I wasn’t able to see any cracks but replacing it solved my problem also. Now I remove it and disconnect the pump as a final winterizing step.
  • Options
    GregChrisGregChris Member Posts: 189
    This seems to me to a good spare part to keep around. Is it readily available from rv parts store(camping world) or a Nu-camp specific item? I had a similar problem with my previous winnie. The filter cover just vibrated loose somehow, tightened it and no more problems.
  • Options
    JamesCJamesC Member Posts: 62
    edited March 2023
    I was able to purchase the new one for twenty dollars at a local RV store. Interestingly the clear plastic on mine also turned opaque when it started leaking water. 
    2018 T@B 400, 2015 F150 tow vehicle.