Options

2023 tab 400BD support for dinette cushion

I found it hard to believe that the dinette seating on the drivers side had no support for the cushion.  Just relying on the velcro and stuffing the space full seemed a poor design.  I added two hatches made from 1/2 inch baltic birch and held up by rare earth magnets.  Now there is support and the storage is easy to access.  (note that to open the second hatch, the hidden bunk has to be raised)
2023 TAB 400, towed by 2001 Ford f-150 Supercrew XLT 5.6 liter v8

Comments

• Options
    TabmanicTabmanic Member Posts: 36
    Nice fix, I might have to try this. Mine has a cushion that came with it to fill in the bottom so it doesn't slide back in but I like your fix better, Thanks
  • Options
    DrifterDrifter Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for sharing!!  I'm not a Tab 400 owner, yet, but visited a 2023 this week and this cushion issue stood out as a flaw. This looks like a reasonable fix - brilliant - some useable storage and improved stability.

Now, what can be done about that cheap looking hook and loop to improve on looks and usability. In the 2023 unit I looked at, the hook and loop for this cushion looked like it had been in use for 10 years already.
  • Options
    elbolilloelbolillo Member Posts: 305
    @HedCount
    You inspired me to tackle this modification. Have a few things to finish up but gonna make this space so much more useful.

KK1LKK1L Member Posts: 96
    Very nice. Looks good. Temporarily fixing this was one of the first things I did in the camper. I like this approach. I store my extra  portable solar panel back there...fits like a glove...and the hinged panel will still give good access. This fix is on the list! Thanks.

My quick and dirty 15minute temporary solution...
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/194178#Comment_194178
    73 es God Bless de KK1L, Ron <><
    2023 T@B 400 Boondock "Running up a T@B"
    Jericho, VT
  • Options
    My rig will be at NuCamp 10th-May and one of the items is to fix is the ugly velcro here. NuCamp says "​We do have a fix for the cushion and fabric panel and we will take care of that when you come." I will post what it looks like when done.
    Jericho, VT
  • Options
    HedCountHedCount Member Posts: 20
    please do post that.  The velcro (and the off color screw covers) seriously detracts from an otherwise clean look

• Options
    NuCamp updated the cushion. It was not 100% fixed. However I did see a new off the line '23 400BD which did have this all sorted.
    1. The whole side panel is replaced with one which descends below the large opening about 1.5" to provide support to the top of the dinette cushion. In my repair the velcro was still installed high. The reason given was that the staples would have the plywood behind the panel to bite into. On the version I saw on the factory tour the velcro was lower.
    2. The side cushion has a plywood backing to give it support. This helps a lot.
    3. The spare narrow cushion needs to be in the compartment to really support the bottom of the side cushion. The straps holding the side and bottom cushion are not enough.
    To keep the velcro from showing in my "repaired" case I had two options. 1) move the velcro lower. 2) Add a spacer below the cushion. I chose to put a 2x3 under the side cushion for now.

Jericho, VT
  • Options
    thanks for posting this update.  I think I still prefer my fix to the updated "longer upper"

• Options
    @HedCount Agree! I have a bit more difficulty stowing my foldable solar panel back there now. The back cushion is stiffer, so that is a bonus for sure.

Jericho, VT
  • Options
    @elbolillo I just noticed that when you made your mod, you made one larger hatch instead of two.  Wish I had done that but I just split the size of the opening.  Good update.
  • Options
    elbolilloelbolillo Member Posts: 305
    HedCount said:
    @elbolillo I just noticed that when you made your mod, you made one larger hatch instead of two.  Wish I had done that but I just split the size of the opening.  Good update.
    Yeah, I thought one door would be easier to install.