Options

Battery Cut-off or Battery Isolation Switch?

We are making a list of modifications that would make life easier to get done early in our T@b adventure.

Reading the forum I added a battery cut-off switch to the list. Then I read about a battery "isolation" switch which prevents the trailer from draining the TV (yes at first I was one of the ones who thought this meant television!) while hitched. 

Are these the same thing?  Do you need both?  Ifnot the same, must you choose to have one or the other vs. both?
Pam (and the husband..+2 golden retrievers)--2016 T@b M@x CS-S Sofitel (towed by a 2015 Jeep WrglrUnlim Rubicon)

Comments

• Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    Your TV may already have battery isolation as part of a factory tow package.  My Dodge Journey does.  The cut-off switch, which can be located either in the battery box or near the fuse panel, will turn off ALL phantom draws on your battery - things like the propane sniffer and Jensen audio/visual system.  If wired correctly, even with the cut-off switch in the off position, a solar panel, if you have one, will still charge the battery, but your converter may not.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    VagabondsVagabonds Member Posts: 35
    Thanks Mercator!  Much clearer now!  I will check the tow package on our Jeep. 
    Pam (and the husband..+2 golden retrievers)--2016 T@b M@x CS-S Sofitel (towed by a 2015 Jeep WrglrUnlim Rubicon)
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Once you have a T@B, it's easy to tell. Disconnect your battery, plug into your tow vehicle. Crank the engine. Turn on a light on your T@B. If the light comes on you have a charge line. Turn off the engine, if the light goes out, you have an isolation relay. If the light stays on, you do not have an isolation relay.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL