Options

From 320 Boondock to 400 Boondock - Maybe

We’re pondering on going up to a ‘22 400 Boondock from a 320 BD.  The gotta haves are the Boondock package and the bigger refrigerator.  We’re pretty simple travelers.  Any other options we should put on our “list” of wants?
TIA.
2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
Odessa, Fl.  

Comments

• Options
    RTWCTSRTWCTS Member Posts: 111
    @GatorEgg About the only other factory option would be the microwave and color choices. New 2022 400s are getting scarce at dealers. If that's what you're looking for, I wouldn't ponder too long.
    We just moved up to a 400 from a 320. We compared a 2022 and 2023 side by side at a dealer. The 2023 better met our needs. 
    2023 TAB 400 Boondock
    2018 T@B 320 Sold
    Racing the Wind and Chasing the Sun
  • Options
    Flybone89Flybone89 Member Posts: 59
    @RTWCTS how did you feel about the move from the 320 bed to the 400 bed? We plan to keep our 1-year old 320 for at least a few more years - the size is perfect for us now as we mostly camp on weekends or short trips (1 week or less). But there is a chance we may want something bigger for longer trips when we retire.

If we feel we need something bigger, I think the 400 would be a great upgrade - but my wife says it is a no-go because of one critical reason - the "wedge" bed. We setup our 320 with twin beds and it makes it really easy for us to both get in and out of the bed - and that is important as she is up a lot at night and I am an early riser. I even created custom matching cushions we use to make it look like it came from the factory with twin beds! So she has been suggesting a 23' Airstream with twin beds and both my towing nerves and budget are running scared...

@GatorEgg curious to your thoughts on making the bed change too.

Kevin
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,006
    As @RTWCTS mentioned there are not many other options other than the microwave.  We opted to not get the microwave as we like the extra storage.  Also we got the birch interior over the darker wood.  However if you want the 2022 you'll most likely have to take what is left on dealer lots and most have the microwave.  At least the ones at our local dealer do.  But removing it and either buying a factory matching cabinet door from NuCamp or fabricating your own is not a big deal.  If you order a 2023 you can opt not to get the microwave and you can pick how many lithium batteries you want.  The 2022 will come with the dual 6v agms like ours has.  I've been in the 2022 and the 2023 side by side.  For us we liked the dinette and the larger bathroom of the 2022 better.  But the 2023 does have the composite floor, standard single lithium battery and the cool corner sink, albeit in the slightly smaller bath.  

As far as after market options go I would install a victron smart shunt, if you get the 2022.  I think it is either standard on all 2023's or maybe on just the 4 battery setup.  It is invaluable for measuring your power consumptions and worth the money in my opinion.  Also we upgraded the vent fan with a MaxxAir fan with 10 speeds and the remote.  I think the model is the 7500k.  So much better than the factory fan.  

As far as the sleeping goes in the 400 it just depends on if you're okay sleeping east to west and having someone crawl over you or you crawling over someone.  It's pretty much a given in most small trailers and we are good with it.  I'm 6'2" and sleep on the outside and my smaller wife, 5'4" sleeps on the inside.  She quickly got used to the ceiling slope and likes the cozy feel, especially with the heat register right there.  If she has to get up for some reason it does not bother me for her to crawl over me.  It's much more comfortable than being in our backpacking tent!  Anyway we love the 400. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    edited April 2023
    As for options, I don't like to add expensive options or equipment that are not practical to remove if we decide to sell or trade.  We have installed two BB batteries, an Ecoflow power station (Boondocking and home backup) rather than additional installed solar, and two aluminum storage tubs for our new 320s Boondock.  Near $4,000 worth with tax.  They can be transferred to our next camper with ease. We've had seven campers in 50 years since my 1971 VW Campmobile, some with expensive upgrades we lost in trade or sale.

Thoughts on 320 vs 400 beds and dinette/lounge seating.  We originally ordered a new 400, but cancelled it and purchased our 320 because we felt these items in the 400 were a "no-go", more so than the tiny 320 bath.  Try them again before you let go of your 320.  And you may become unhappy with your Tacoma in front of the 400, been there too.
    Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • Options
    Flybone89Flybone89 Member Posts: 59
    bergger said:

As far as the sleeping goes in the 400 it just depends on if you're okay sleeping east to west and having someone crawl over you or you crawling over someone.  It's pretty much a given in most small trailers and we are good with it.
    I don't think we would mind the east to west especially with that nice stargazer window, but sadly the crawling over someone seems unavoidable. As you say you are either good with it or not. I guess I was naively expecting some magical Cirque du Soleil technique on how to avoid it =)  Interestingly, I don't think crawling over someone is a given in a 320. The bed area is so wide we have been able to make two very nice size twins each with their own custom mattress topper - so we don't notice the other one getting up - unless they get very noisy once up  :)

However, where we were primarily hoping to upgrade with the 320 is setting up and breaking down the bed! For long trips as well as quick overnighters - having a separate bed would be nice! But my wife keeps reminding me the time it takes to setup + breakdown the bed is 30 mins or less - and the time we sleep in peace is much longer. I guess I will just think like a pit crew and work this season to improve my setup and breakdown times!

@GatorEgg sorry to hijack your thread for a moment on 320 vs 400 beds, but good luck with your decision! nuCamp trailers are indeed like goldilocks - there is one that is just right for everyone. BTW - if I were to add options on a 400 that new lithium package would do it for us! Being able to use AC from time to time while at a Harvest Host or boondocking - sweet!

Kevin
  • Options
    It takes us much  less time to roll back our sleeping bags drop in the table in our 320 (it is, after all, a camper) that it took to make up the east/west bed in our previous Airstream.  Then bingo, it's a dinette.

I am trying to figure out using a lithium battery configuration to run an air conditioner while boondocking.  A  few hours and then, your battery bank is gone.  How do you recharge them?
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • Options
    RTWCTSRTWCTS Member Posts: 111
    edited April 2023
    Flybone89 said:
    @RTWCTS how did you feel about the move from the 320 bed to the 400 bed? We plan to keep our 1-year old 320 for at least a few more years - the size is perfect for us now as we mostly camp on weekends or short trips (1 week or less). But there is a chance we may want something bigger for longer trips when we retire.

If we feel we need something bigger, I think the 400 would be a great upgrade - but my wife says it is a no-go because of one critical reason - the "wedge" bed. We setup our 320 with twin beds and it makes it really easy for us to both get in and out of the bed - and that is important as she is up a lot at night and I am an early riser. I even created custom matching cushions we use to make it look like it came from the factory with twin beds! So she has been suggesting a 23' Airstream with twin beds and both my towing nerves and budget are running scared...

Kevin
    Our 320 served us well for many years. We are now retired and looking to stay longer in destinations. EVERY camper has trade-offs. We moved on from the 320 so that my feet didn't hang off the end of the bed, I could stand fully erect inside and we had a separate sitting area from the bedroom (I too am an earlier riser than my spouse). Climbing over in the night was the trade-off. The ceiling coming down over the bed isn't an issue to us, once our eyes are closed.
    We looked at every brand possible for about 13Mos. before coming back to NuCamp. It is a towable size for my spouse to drive the TV and the quality of construction is hard to beat. Oh, and the cost compared to the 23' Caravel twin bed Airstream was also favorable. In the end it is about what is right for you. Enjoy contemplating what may be...
    2023 TAB 400 Boondock
    2018 T@B 320 Sold
    Racing the Wind and Chasing the Sun
  • Options
    WildRumpusWildRumpus Member Posts: 42
    As someone who literally upgraded from a 320 to a 400 two days ago, I’d like to chime in. The east-west sleeping was not an issue for us in the 320 do it’s not an issue in the 400. 

We’ve spent two nights in the 400 so far (literally since the day we bought it. It’s a 500 mile journey home). We are absolutely amazed at how much better of an experience it is over our 320! Not even close. It’s absolutely luxurious. It’s far easier for two people to move around in. The full time dinette is a game changer. It’s like having a separate living area. 

I’m actually very surprised at how much better it is. It has freakin central A/C and heat with a heat pump!!!! Our 320 used to be “moist” all the time, and that loud window A/C sucked.  Not the case w the Cool Cat A/C. It’s quiet and keeps the inside nice and dry. And the Nautilus water management is so convenient. 

Zero regrets upgrading to the 400.
    Gainesville, FL
  • Options
    Both the late model 320 and 400 have a ducted air conditioner, the old window style units are long gone.  

The 320s (not the CSS 320) gives the campers the option of twin beds, north/south full bed, or east/west full bed if you somehow like that.  Personally, I do not like east/west beds.
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • Options
    GregChrisGregChris Member Posts: 189
    I guess it depends on how big you are. I'm only 5'9", my wife is 4'11". we sleep east west(or wheel to wheel) because I hit my head on the cabinets in the back, and for some reason scoot off the bed toward the front.
  • Options
    TabmanicTabmanic Member Posts: 36
    We switched to the 400 from a 320 after a year, we really didn't like making up the bed every day and the bed in the 400 is way more comfortable.
    One thing we have found is the 2021 320 is made better than our new 2023 400, the sheathing on the roof of the 400 is loose from the purlins, (it was tight to the purlins on the 320) the front storage tub is low quality construction (really flimsy compared to the 320), the 320 BD has a aluminum guard rail on the back not on the 400, also the keder rail on the 320 is really nice design and heavier duty than the 400, Just a few things we have seen so far.
  • Options
    elbolilloelbolillo Member Posts: 295
    Tabmanic said:
    We switched to the 400 from a 320 after a year, we really didn't like making up the bed every day and the bed in the 400 is way more comfortable.
    One thing we have found is the 2021 320 is made better than our new 2023 400, the sheathing on the roof of the 400 is loose from the purlins, (it was tight to the purlins on the 320) the front storage tub is low quality construction (really flimsy compared to the 320), the 320 BD has a aluminum guard rail on the back not on the 400, also the keder rail on the 320 is really nice design and heavier duty than the 400, Just a few things we have seen so far.
    I wonder if the front storage tub diamond plate was changed for all Tabs. I immediately noticed that with our '23 Tab 400 compared to our '21 Tab 320.

There are several things that I think are superior with the 400. The water pump works much better. I don't know if it is because it is a different model than the 320. But for us, it is definitely noticeable. We have to be careful not to use too much water when using the shower and the outdoor hose. The Nautilus on the '23 Tab 400 is much nicer than the '21 Tab 320. And as you mentioned the bed is a definite upgrade.
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439

From 320 Boondock to 400 Boondock - Maybe

Us too - maybe. . .

2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    TabmanicTabmanic Member Posts: 36
    We are really glad we made the switch, super happy with the 400 BD. I like having the batteries in the back and room for 4, also the front tub now has room for 2 propane tanks or what ever you need. The only thing that was a bit of a bummer was we had to drive from Yuma AZ to Denton TX (2,500 miles round trip) to get a fair deal, the dealer here was way off and would not come close but it was worth drive as we saved over $4,700 after fuel and food, we would it again if I had to.
  • Options
    ParlandoParlando Member Posts: 123
    @Kutton Can you tell me more about how you use your Ecoflow power station during boondocking.  Specifically how do you draw energy from the power station to the T@B?  Do you connect it to the battery, bypass the battery, or hook it up internally?
  • Options
    Parlando, we just got the Ecoflow power station and are about to learn what it can do for us.  We leave tomorrow on an extended trip.

I think of it as an extra lithium battery with built-in inverter to back up our two 100ah Battle Born batteries.  And as a home emergency power source when the power goes out (virtually every thunderstorm).

In use, I would turn the battery switch off, as they are both depleted, and i don't want it to expend it's power through the converter into the batteries.  It can provide backup 120vac and 12vdc when needed.  We have no inverter in our 320, so we can recharge our laptops, phones, watches, mifi directly when boondocking. If we decide it's not enough backup, we can purchase a companion unit that doubles its storage.

The basic idea is to provide backup power without installing additional batteries or unreliable solar in our present 320.  Too often, if we decide to move on to another camper, installed equipment is lost investment.  We can take the portable stuff with us to the next camper.

Minnesota and Arizona
  • Options
    TabOnTabOn Member Posts: 1
    So interesting to hear people's experience with the bed situation.  We sold the T@b 400 and are downsizing to a 320s because we just couldn't get comfortable in the 400 bed.  We are going to do a twin bed set up in the 320 (we aren't tall people) and use something like Beddy Bed Bedding to make the set up less messy.  We have looked at other companies but ultimately trust the NuCamp brand and want to stick with it.
  • Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 352
    NuCamp does have another option: the 320CS. You would have a complete climate controlled master bedroom; lavatory, dresser and bed. The table moves outside. The kitchen is already outside and it's a full 6 foot galley. You won't find one that big in another trailer under 25ft. Traveling, you do get some looks opening the back to access the kitchen while parked in someone's parking lot, but for camping there is little better.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"