Options

Using a 2015 Honda Odyssey to tow the TAB S

We recently purchased a Odyssey Elite and are considering a TAB S for a cross country drive (from florida to California) going through the mountains etc. Anyone using an Odyssey? I'm planning on installing the electrical and hitch myself and having the dealer install the transmission cooler. Any info on this plan? Odyssey is rated at 2500 lbs towing capacity and it's only going to be my wife and me and our 70 lbs Golden Doodle dog traveling (the car will be light) (commenting on traveling with a dog would be helpful too). Dougsarm

Comments

• Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    Should be fine. With that 270+ HP V6 you won't even feel it. It's amazing how low the tow ratings are on minivans these days. The Chrysler minivans from the 90s were rated 5000 lbs, and only had 170HP and much smaller brakes. I guess they're trying to keep their lawyers happy.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited August 2015
    The lower tow ratings are likely to do with how light they're making new vehicles these days. We just got a 2016 Forester, and the body structure is either plastic or tin foil, it seems.

Not much to depend on.

Dougsarm, maybe you could see if they'll put in a temp gauge for the transmission too, so you know what it's doing in the mountains. The engine might be a good size, but if the transmission isn't handling the extra weight/stress, at least you'd know before you blew your tranny seals.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    dougsarmdougsarm Member Posts: 5
    Thanks Chan, I'm going to check out a temp gauge although I'm having the Honda dealer install the cooler so I keep the warranty intact. Also the Odyssey has a 3500 lbs tow weight capacity and we will be at about 2200 lbs, so I would think we are well below it's limits and would probably be fine on the mountains if I don't push it. You would think they would say something about it in the manual (possible overheating) but all they say is to install a trans cooler if you tow a trailer.