Options

Details for a DIY Custom Bumper Installed on my T@B 320 CS

georgianwindsgeorgianwinds Member Posts: 41
edited April 2023 in Modifications & Upgrades

Details - A Two Tube Bumper Installed on my T@B 320 CS

I have just completed attaching a bumper to my 2019 T@B 320 CS. Although largely cosmetic, it is robust enough to provide a bit of protection in parking lots and at the campsite. Feel free to comment.

It was constructed from leftover material, some 4” angle iron and a small length of steel chain-link fence railing. Although my design, a local welder made the two steel brackets from the angle iron and drilled the holes for the steel tubes (bars) and bolts, positioned so as not to obscure the tail lights. The bars were cut to 28” and 48” in length. The cut ends of the two tubes were closed off with 1” conduit panel knockout covers. The covers were knocked in and secured using a marine grade adhesive. The brackets were prepped for rust, primed, double painted (metallic nickel) and top coated with an exterior clear coat. A strip of rubber roofing membrane separates the brackets from direct contact with the aluminum sheet on the T@B. Four stainless steel bolts (2.5”) were used to attach each bracket on the face and from below. I planned on using screws but switched to bolts. The upper two bolts, per bracket, were backed with large fender washers as the wood veneer inside the galley is quite thin. The lower bolts coming up through the floor were attached first and again washers and locking nuts were used. The brackets were attached before the tubes were slid into place; the tubes being secured with small set screws to prevent shifting. Caulking was applied to the top and sides of each bracket. The brackets stick out just less than 4" and so are not a shin knocker. With a total of 8 bolts securing the bumper, it's very solid.

I might replace the lower tube with a 60” length but right now I like the overall proportions.

Total cost for the steel, labour and fasteners, but not including paint was approximately $160.

Custom Double Tube Bumper

Camper - 2019 T@B 320 CS, TV - 2021 GMC Canyon Diesel
Scott & the S.S. PorT@Bella

My Teardrop Mods  https://georgianwinds.wixsite.com/teardropmods 

Comments

• Options
    techietabtechietab Member Posts: 159
    Nice work! Lack of any sort of bumper on my (non-Boondock) 320S is a constant worry for me, and I'm not convinced the stock bumper on the Boondock 320S model would do anything other than tear up the roof/underbody given how it's mounted. While the rear of the CS model isn't directly attached to the trailer frame, you might be able to get lucky with this design in the event of a more-than-minor collision and come out of it with mostly cosmetic repairs. Damage to the rear of an S model seems like it might be a 'game-over' event.
    If anyone tries to make version 2.0 of this in the future - I wonder if a sacrificial bracket designed to be 'crushable' would make sense here. Either a honeycomb composite/polymer mount bracket, or aluminum that would provide more 'give' than steel.
    Northern VA
    2022 T@b 320 S / 2021 Subaru Outback
  • Options
    PintoplumberPintoplumber Member Posts: 168
    I’m afraid I’d be banging my shins into it too often.
    2016 320 CS-S  1954 Ford F100  2017 Chevy suburban 
  • Options
    georgianwindsgeorgianwinds Member Posts: 41
    Thanks and no banged shins so far.
    Camper - 2019 T@B 320 CS, TV - 2021 GMC Canyon Diesel
    Scott & the S.S. PorT@Bella

My Teardrop Mods  https://georgianwinds.wixsite.com/teardropmods