Options

2022 T@B320 Lithium upgrade

Our T@B has the solar panel that came with the Boondock,  I would like to add a portable 300 watt panel.
The user manual implies that if I use external solar, I need to ensure I have a controller on the panels .   

• A solar port inlet may be provided on the exterior of your camper to allow connection of portable solar panels. Portable solar panels must be equipped with their own solar controller as the port is set up to be directly wired to the battery. The solar port will provide charge in addition to installed solar panels (if equipped) on the unit.

I understand that I can take my lead acid out, replace it with a 100AH Lithium battery and the converter and everything is all set.   I may need to change settings in the Victron app.  but no other changes are needed.  

If I add tow 100AH of Lithium batteries  will I need to change the controller that is connected to the roof solar.  It came delivered with a Vactron 75/10.  Can I  add a solar controller for the 300 watt panel?

What level of Solar charger should I use, MPPT 100 / 50,  or the  150/70

Any thoughts regarding the use of shunts ?  I see the only need for the shunt is the ability to monitor the battery.  

Any advice on batteries would be appreciated,  Battle Born, Rengoy, Weize,   other?    .   

Thanks, 
Michael 

Michael Godshall
Holland PA
2022 T@B 320S Boondock
TV: 2018 F150

Comments

• Options
    elbolilloelbolillo Member Posts: 302
    @Michael_Godshall

You won't need to change the charge controller connected to the rooftop solar if you add 200ah lithium batteries.

For external panels, you can add an additional charger and then the two chargers can be networked together. An MPPT 100/30 can be connected to up to 440 watts of solar panels at 12 volts.

I would recommend the shunt for monitoring your battery percentage. And again, if it is Victron it will network and communicate with the solar chargers.

I use Battleborn. They have provided excellent customer support and I like the robustness of the BMS. However, there are other brands out there as well that have excellent reviews as well.

stephengstepheng Member Posts: 109
    edited April 2023
    I have a 2022 and just upgraded to Lithium - Battleborn 100aH.  I have a 320S BD with the WFCO power converter - 8735LiS.  Be aware that the wiring from the converter to the battery in the Tub is 10AWG and you will get a significant voltage drop - I read about 13.2 at the battery when the controller output under the seat was about 14.2 volts.
    I solved this by eliminating the WFCO as the charger when connected to shore power.  You can find my write-up and pictures here:
    I have also identified a new issue.  The roof solar is a Sunflare 126 watt panel and connected to the Victron MPPT charge controller.  Today is a bright sunny 86 degree day in Arizona with my trailer in the driveway facing south and my charge controller will not turn on - panel voltage is 17.84 volts and the battery voltage is 13.21 - less than the 5V differential required for the MPPT charge controller to turn on.

I may have to replace the MPPT with a PWM controller and then use the MPPT controller in an external panel.  Even though the MPPT is more efficient, its not more efficient if it never turns on.

2022 T@B 320S Boondock
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    I added a 200 watt portable suitcase for dry camping. I mounted the controller for it in the tub so it's closer to the batteries so there will be less voltage loss when the panels are on a 20' extension cable out in the sun. I switched to 200AH of lithium and moved them inside and don't use the WFCO for charging. Since the WFCO supplies DC when on shore power, I switch the batteries off and added a Victron Smart Charger to charge them off shore power properly. I monitor them with a Renogy shunt and monitor so I don't need my phone/apps/etc. The Victron's are all on the phone but I really only need/use the hard wired monitor which I mounted on the wall under the other controls.

2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,290
    stepheng said:
    I may have to replace the MPPT with a PWM controller and then use the MPPT controller in an external panel.  Even though the MPPT is more efficient, its not more efficient if it never turns on.

Is there any chance that you didn't change the battery settings in the Victron app for the lithium battery?

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    Maple_GeekMaple_Geek Member Posts: 204
    Agreed I think your charge controller thinks your battery is fully charged. Look at your battery settings to make sure it's set to the Lithium profile
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    2021 Toyota RAV4 TRD Off Road
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Instagram: new.t@bventure