Options

Stabilizer Crankshaft for 2014 T@B

WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553

Something I learned this weekend during my second camping trip with ClemenT@B.  Raise the stabilizers a little bit first -- but leave the wheels chocked -- while you are cranking up your jockey wheel to hook up the coupler.  I left my stabilizers down, however, when I raised the tongue to get it high enough to engage the coupler to the ball hitch, more weight was on the rear of the trailer. Okay, so this might be a no-brainer, but I tend to have no brains when it comes to mechanical things.

As a result, I couldn't get the rear stabilizers to raise because the stabilizers had been leveled for camping, but now the tongue was higher.  I actually bent my crankshaft a little trying to raise them.  Then it dawned on me to lower the tongue and release the stabilizers.  

So ANYWAY, I am thinking I need to replace my stabilizer crank, as I don't know how much it has been compromised.  I checked the Online Store, but didn't see any for sale there.  Has anyone found a replacement elsewhere, or should I call LG to get one?

>:P

Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)

Comments

• Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    We just got our T@B M@xx yesterday...although I'm no help regarding a crank replacement, I'm wondering if anyone's found a gizmo you could insert into a small drill/impact driver that'd greatly speed up and ease the process.

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    Not sure if it's the exact one, but the LG stabalizers are not custom made. Call the company, but if that is no avail, google "stabilizer jack handles". I did, and it worked.
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    I was surfing through Camping World (I'll be near one next week), and ran across this: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/crank-handle-for-scissor-jacks/52113

J.D. & Sue

• Options

Okay, thanks.  I did that and found something on RV Parts website.  I can order a J-Hook style or a T-Type handle.  I'll look at my literature for the stabilizers and see if it tells me what type I have.

Happy T@Bing everyone.  Next trip will be Memorial Day weekend.  Hope we have better weather here.  We are getting SNOW right now. 

;)
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    You should be able to get the crank at an RV supply store, they are not custom to LG and pretty common.  They should run about $15.

Durango, to answer your question, I made one to fit the end of a power drill myself over the winter.  Major time saver, and only took me a couple of minutes to do.  You can read about that here.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    BTW, because of this, I am now able to give stablizer duty to Becky
    =))

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    I guess I misunderstood you Beth when you said "crankshaft" thinking that you bent the spiral shaft in the stabilizer mechanism. If what you bent is just the crank handle, then you should be able to straighten it and continue using it. The stabilzer jacks are made by BAL so you could probably get a replacement directly from them if need be. Their number is (310) 639-4000 or (310) 636-1176
  • Options
    Hi, Neil -- I looked at the handle again tonight, and it will probably be okay.  I just worry too much, and I would rather pay to have a back up and never need it than to think about it, not buy it, and then need it.  Ya know?  I'm still learning.  #:-S
  • Options
    CCPICCCCPICC Member Posts: 43
    For my T@B built by THOR I found online a 24" extention to my drill and bought a 1" socket and an adapter piece to the drill from craftsman and when you put the three together you have an electric crank which makes the job so easy that you can crank the stabalizers up and down in under a minute. A simple safe and inexpensive way to crank, I now store my original crank undet the seats just in case.  Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Similar to ccpicc...I bought a second crank, almost identical to the one that comes with the T@B, cut off the "crank" part with a hack saw, and it works great in my drill...especially for those hard to reach rear stabilizers.

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

Camco makes a socket that will allow you to use your drill. I bought one and will let you know how it works. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxtZstVAm7M

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    radrenradren Member Posts: 229
    HI jkjenn,
    Very very interested in seeing how this socket works out with the T@B. I was planning to do the hacksaw thing so I could use a drill but simply buying something is always so much easier. I have already ordered the BAL side adjuster thing, it is SO much heavier than it looks, and am looking for a cheap pizza carrier bag to stick it into. I guess it gets greasy or something and needs to be contained by a pizza carrier. All of the things I have learned from this forum and have had to buy for my August T@Baby. I need to get the bubble levels soon. I am pacing myself. 
    Can't wait to hear about the drill and socket! Work smart ladies!
    The Mouse house and me
  • Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    I have the Camco socket and it works well with my T@DA. Like Nathan, I offloaded that duty to my son, Cooper :). Presumably the Thor/Dutchmen T@Bs would be the same. Not sure about the LGs.
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    That is for a hexhead jack bolt. Our tabs have an odd "bolt with wings" affair. It may not work. I hope it does, as the power module for scissor jacks I referenced prior requires BAL hex head type scissor jacks.
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    We also use an extention for the 12v drill and a socket.  I ordered a used pizza delivery bag off Ebay for the BAL.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    stanmstanm Member Posts: 49
    I wonder how much power I really need in a cordless drill to raise and lower the stabilizers? I could just take my 14.4v drill along but I'd like to get something smaller and lighter. Does anyone use an 8v or other small size cordless drills for raising and lowering the stabilizers?
    Stan & Kitty - Seattle - 2014 T@B Q, Silver & Orange, 2013 Outback
  • Options

The Camco socket does not work the LG T@bs.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Stan, I use a 9v Craftsman cordless drill ad it works just fine. You don't need much power, just enough to get them up and down. You should not be using the stabilizers to lift the T@B.

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Evelyn,

These are available, but you would have to have your local RV dealer install them for you.   This might be something that would help to resolve your issue?

Equalizer Systems
    Phone (800) 846-9659

Stabi-Lite® automatic leveling system

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Mike, it is not the stabilizer jack that is the problem! I am not physically capable to get to them! I NEED A RELIABLE EXTENSION FROM MY DRILL TO THE LUG CONNECTOR ON THE EXISTING STABILIZER! I can sit on a stool with my drill...at the end of the trailer.......an extension is what is needed. ?????? ;;)
    The Socket Genie might work

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Hi Evelyn,

After looking the trailer stabilizers over and since you are physically limited in deploying the stabilizers I would still look into the electric stabilizers I recommended.  They are electric and all you would have to do is hit a switch and have them drop down and into place.  Certainly they would cost a few more $$$, but wouldn't that be nice to have something that is automatic and that no physical effort was needed to get them down and in place?  Other than that the only thing you might do is go to a junkyard, look for one of them long and extendable portable jack handles and have a socket welded onto the end of the handle and use that to manually extend or retract the stabilizers.   A welder could cut off the end and weld a socket on easily.  You could store that either in your trailer or TV.  You could probably use one of these as well in a drill as well, but I do understand your point and the fact that the stabilizers are beneath the trailer make it more of a chore or effort to deploy them.  

Nathan's (Cyclonic) earlier suggestion of cutting off the crank handle is still a viable option too.  

I will pose this question to the factory and see what they say.

Thanks,

Mike
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I did get a response back from the factory.  They agreed that this isn't the easiest of chores.  They are aware of it and are looking at re-designing the handle and planning to make it longer sometime in the future.  

If it were me, I would have a welder fabricate something for you or do at Nate did above, only lengthen the rod or possibly use a longer piece of iron like re-rod and have a socket welded to the end and in such a fashion that it could be inserted into a battery operated drill.  
  • Options
    Evelyn, I ordered a socket Genie and will let you know how it works.

• Options
    That stabilizer system will cost you about what an ARB refrigerator costs Evelyn.   If I hear anything else I will certainly let you know.  
  • Options
    Hey Jenn,
    Very interested to know how the socket genie works out. Please let us know. 
    The Mouse house and me
  • Options
    @Radren Update: The socket Genie I linked to does fit the stabilizer but does not fit a drill with a 3/8" drive. I am guessing I can find an extension somewhere that might work. I need to bring it to the hardware store with me.

• Options
    Thanks Jenn,
    I guess there isn't a magic socket that just WORKS without hassle. Let me know how the search continues.

The Mouse house and me