Options

MORE plastic trim problems.

djcdjc Member Posts: 7
 I just bought a 2020 T@B 400 and when the previous owners towed it in to deliver it to us, 2 top plastic trim sections blew off on the highway some where on the way. (Dangerous for cars behind)  The sellers agreed to reduce the price of the unit due to this and I am looking to repair the issue.  I talked to a dealer and I am ordering the parts approximately $500.00.  As I research this issue further I am discovering that trim cracking, breakage, and failure is a known and common problem for quite a long time (5-6 years plus).    I am disappointed that despite all the feedback it appears the issue has not been addressed.  Yes there are staments that "we are looking at it", ect. ect..  This is an obvious design flaw but if you are beyond the 1 year warranty you are on your own to resolve it and pick up the costs and labor of this issue.  My unit is 3 years old and the trim is flying off on the highway. 

That said I love the trailer and will do my best to fix the problems, I have reached out via email to the mfg., asking for guidance on installation and if there has been any changes to the materials to prevent this from being a reoccurring issue.  So far my emails to Service and to the Help desk haven't been responded to. 

One of the reasons we decided to buy a NuCamp was the reputation of better quality and service.  We as customers pay dearly for that reputation as the units are sustainably more expensive than other brands and I am hopeful that NuCamp will provide some resolve and advice.

In the mean time I will try to do the repair myself and hope that the issues doesn't reoccur.   - clear

Comments

• Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,012
    Replacing the trim is an easy repair. The expense of the trim is unfortunate!
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,205
    Yeah. This issue has been ongoing for years. Part of the problem is whoever installs these uses a driver and over-torques the screws which smashed the plastic flanges and weakens them.

I’ve noticed a couple of spots on my trim where the screws were over-torqued. Nothing that’s caused any issues yet. My entire trailer has over-torqued screws all over the place. Cabinets are the worst culprit. I just think they shouldn’t be using a driver. They should just use a drill with a clutch. Much less likely to tighten screws too much. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road