Options

Warped door

FlashrobsterFlashrobster Member Posts: 2
edited April 2023 in Tips & Tricks
The exterior door on our 2018 320S is bowed out so latch is hard to close.  I would like to attempt repair. Has anyone successfully accomplished this repair?  I saw the post of the tech grabbing top & bottom and kneeing the middle. I think this may be difficult for me but might try it. Has anyone taken the door off the hinges? It looks similar to a house door hinge where you remove the rod (pin). I figure with the door off I'd have more options to correct the bow.

Comments

• Options
    DukeHewettDukeHewett Member Posts: 41
    Hi Flashmobster-
    I would NOT try bending the frame with a knee or other "fast" method without better control over the outcome.  You might bend it too much or actually put a small crease in it.   Instead I would take a slow/progressive method that allows you to increase the amount of warp you want in the other direction.   I would suggest getting a couple small spacers about ¼" thick and temporarily fasten then to the top and bottom of the jamb.  It will be even harder to close the door now, but that is exactly what you'll have to do.  You might need help to push the middle of the door in firmly to latch it.  On wood doors that is all that is usually necessary if you let it sit for a few hours or overnight.  BUT with aluminum you will probably want to help it achieve the opposite warp by taking a soft cloth and rubber mallet and tapping up and down the door to try an 'set it' to that shape.  You can increase the amount you are tapping the door, being careful not to do too much.  You can easily see if you are straightening it out by opening the door, removing the spacers and trying to close it, noting if the gap has gotten smaller.  If need-be, make larger shims of ⅜".  Just my experience as a beat-up old contractor of 50 years.
  • Options
    FlashrobsterFlashrobster Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Duke. You experienced contractors are my go to source for ideas as you usually  have seen it and done it when it comes to fixing mistakes. The door had a good 1/4"-5/16" outward bow. I used your advice, 1/4" shims and hammered and pushed her straight into submission. It sounded brutal and my wife couldn't watch as I went full caveman on it. I used a towel and rubber mallet and success was declared when bow was reduced to 1/16" and door latched easily. Thanks again.
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @Flashrobster welcome to the forum. I'm glad you tried the solution @DukeHewett suggested. This was my experience:
    From the date of delivery ( May 14, 2016)  of our new 2017 t@b, the door was a little resistant to easy closing. My husband tried things a mechanic would adjust to no avail. By the time üCamp17 came along, I was having to full shoulder "block" the door with my 280 lbs to get it to close.
    We were having a few minor things taken care of under warranty by the factory techs from nüCamp during üCamp17, and they noticed how difficult the door was to close, so they undertook this repair- both of them grabbed an edge, the man inside the tab grabbed the upper curved edge and the guy on the ground grabbed the lower. They pulled, and pushed, tapped with hammers on wide boards they held in place near the door center, used their knees, hips, shoulders and feet and forced the door into easy closing conformation. It has been fine for these last 6 years after that serious "adjustment" from the techs. 
    It was hard for me to watch, as my t@b was my "baby" and very dear to me, but I watched and learned, in case we ever have to "adjust" the door again.

So glad you were successful. I have come to believe that these model t@bs, like old Timex watches "can take a licking and keep on ticking", to borrow a slogan. 

Our t@b was the very best purchase of our lives. Hope yours is the same. Happy t@bbing! -Denise
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 352
    The hinge pins look rounded over on both ends. I would unscrew the hinges to remove the door.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"