Options

Victron dc-dc charger

I will be installing a Victron Orion dc-dc charger in my 2023 T@B 400 BD with the lithium upgrade and the 3k wat Victron inverter/charger. I asked NuCamp customer service for a wiring diagram to plan out the installation but they said they couldn’t provide one. My plan is to route the positive and negative outputs from the dc-dc charger straight to the respective terminals. Just checking to see if there's any problem with that plan.

Comments

• Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    I don't see a problem going straight to the battery terminals. Inverters need to. You will also need fuses. Victron has install manuals on-line for download: https://www.victronenergy.com/support-and-downloads/manuals
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    KK1LKK1L Member Posts: 96
    I installed my Orion under the dinette bench. The red wire coming up out of the floor is from the 7-pin connector and runs to the distribution/fuse/charger panel under the stove area (to the same place as the battery is connected there). I spliced into the +12V and neutral. Works great and is an easy install.

73 es God Bless de KK1L, Ron <><
    2023 T@B 400 Boondock "Running up a T@B"
    Jericho, VT
  • Options
    Maple_GeekMaple_Geek Member Posts: 203
    edited June 2023
    @KK1L great diagram! I'm trying to do something similar in by 2022 TAB320S. 
    How are the brakes getting power if the trailer gets disconnected from the TV in your case (i.e. emergency brake pin gets pulled out) ?
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    2021 Toyota RAV4 TRD Off Road
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Instagram: new.t@bventure
  • Options
    klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    @KK1L great diagram! I'm trying to do something similar in by 2022 TAB320S. 
    How are the brakes getting power if the trailer gets disconnected from the TV in your case (i.e. emergency brake pin gets pulled out) ?
    I agree.  With the DC-DC converter connected as shown the brakes would have no power if the 7-way connector is not connected to the tow vehicle.  Moving the DC-DC converter to the other side of the terminal box would solve the problem because then the brakes would be connected to the battery side of the DC-DC converter.  This also shows why the battery switch should be ON when towing. 

T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • Options
    True! Thanks for pointing out that oversight.
    Jericho, VT
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    True. I should run the brake power to the c@mper battery side of the DC to DC. I have done that. It was a little involved to route the battery side of the DC-DC back out to the terminal block, but it is neatly doable. I chose to run the splice through the floor where the 7-way terminal block wires come up and then back out to terminal block. You have to pull down the black plastic corrugated camper bottom (a few screws) to fish the wire to the split loom to the terminal block to fish the wire in. You have to open the split loom and pull it from the terminal block housing. Patience will prevail. I removed the breakaway wire from the terminal block, snipped off the terminal ring, and spliced it to the wire from the battery side of the DC-DC. I will have to go back and take some pics. I have one of the terminal block layout BEFORE the wiring change and the updated Muttonchops schematic.

Jericho, VT