Options

2021 320S factory solar and 100 watt Renogy Suitcase

We just purchased a 2021 320S to replace 2018 that was destroyed in a tornado. With the 2018, I used a 100 watt Renogy suitcase solar kit with Voyager Controller. Can the Renogy kit be used in conjunction with the factory installed solar on the 2021? Is there any benefit to doing so? Any harm? From the question, it is obvious my knowledge is very limited.

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,676
    edited May 2023
    Welcome to the Forums!
    All you need is a way to connect the Renogy to the battery.  Each panel setup has its own solar controller, which is the important part. Benefits, obviously, is a great increase of solar input.
    Your new trailer has solar with a Victron controller.  Have you found the Victron app to use with the controller for battery monitoring?  You can download it for your phone, here.  If this app is new to you, there may be issues with logging in to the Victron if you don't have the previous owner's password.  There is a fix, but...it isn't fun.  So, if you still have contact with the previous owner somehow, ask for the Victron password!
    Your 2018 had the SAE port on the trailer, and it sounds like you made that work somehow?  Your new trailer may not have the port, so you may have to connect directly to the battery, or add a port of your own.  How did you connect your suitcase before?
    Here is a thread with the same question, and you can see adding a portable setup to the built in panels is routinely done.  It can be as simple or complex as you want to make it.
    Welcome to the Forums.  Sorry to hear about the tornado!  Glad you are back on the road!
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 188
    edited May 2023
    We have a 2021 320S boondock w factory solar and a 100W Renogy solar suitcase, so pretty much the same setup as you.  I installed an SAE port in the tub.  Ours did not come with one, although I think some did. I installed an SAE plug on the suitcase that I can plug into the SAE port in the tub.

I think it's very useful to have both solar options.  On a recent trip to the southwest I took but never used the suitcase because we were fully charged every day from the roof solar.  However, on a trip last year to Michigan and Minnesota, it was overcast most days and I had to chase the sun with the suitcase just to keep up.  There is no conflict between the 2 charge controllers.

I also installed a 20a Renogy dc-dc charger in the tub of the trailer and have it wired with an SAE plug so I can connect it via the SAE port in the tub if I need to.  I also have a Victron 20A battery charger that I plug into the SAE port when I'm charging at home.  It's good to have options!

2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho