Options

New Front Tray Bin for 320 with Boondock Platform

MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
edited May 2023 in Modifications & Upgrades
I just spent two days with the folks at seabiscuitmetaldesigns.com. Got some fabulous mods for my trailer.

This is a metal bin for the center front tray on the boondock rack. It opens from the side. Mine is a prototype. This will soon be offered with a choice of opening on passenger or driver side.

Carol
MOUSE-KE-T@B
2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
Harvest, AL

Comments

• Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    Looks good. They do great work. Going move my spare there though. Just have to track down the mount that goes over the tire.

2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    SLJ said:
    Looks good. They do great work. Going move my spare there though. Just have to track down the mount that goes over the tire.

nuCamp now has a better mount than that cage. It bolts to the big box, and then the tire is bolted to the mount.

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    nuCamp now has a better mount than that cage. It bolts to the big box, and then the tire is bolted to the mount.
    Not a fan of putting anything mounted through the diamond plate. It's really not very sturdy, even with a back plate. Hopefully I can check both out at uCamp.

2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @SLJ, I doubt that nuCamp still makes/sells the spare tire hold-down bracket/cage.  Regardless, I would recommend that you not go that route.  There have been some reported incidents of the brackets failing due to metal fatigue.  It would be a very dangerous situation if it failed while you are towing on a highway/interstate.  The below discussion thread has a brief discussion regarding failure of the bracket (see post by @CrabTab in March 2020.)  I recall similar reports posted on the T@B Facebook group page.  The discussion thread includes info re mounting the aluminum tub mount that nuCamp has used for some time.  I installed one and have not had any issues with it.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/135299#Comment_135299
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Bayliss said:
    @SLJ, I doubt that nuCamp still makes/sells the spare tire hold-down bracket/cage.  Regardless, I would recommend that you not go that route.  There have been some reported incidents of the brackets failing due to metal fatigue.  It would be a very dangerous situation if it failed while you are towing on a highway/interstate. 

Thanks for the info. I looked at the new nuCamp mount and didn't like only having the two bolts through the tub. I'll look at alternatives with larger bolt mounting patterns.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT