Options

T@B 400 Door Latch Failure & Road Repair

swiftwaveswiftwave Member Posts: 31
edited June 2023 in Tips & Tricks
During a road trip, the entry door latch on my 2020 T@B 400 Boondock Lite failed.  When unlocked, I pulled the outside handle and the latch mechanism would only partially retract; not enough to disengage the door.
Thankfully, I could still use the key to override the door handle mechanism, so I could gain entry by turning the key each time I wanted to open the door.  (In other words; even when unlocked, the outside door handle would not work.  I would have to keep the key inserted and turn it beyond its unlock position in order to retract the door latch.)
I removed the latch/lock mechanism from the door and immediately saw a broken cast aluminum actuator pin, pictured in the center of the photo below:

The above photo shows one actuator pin still properly attached on the left, with the other broken cast aluminum pin placed on the black plastic.
The U-shaped white plastic component is spring loaded on the right side.  This U-shaped plastic component flexes to a degree that a single actuator pin on the left is not capable of overcoming the spring tension on the right.  Rather than completely unlatching the door, the U-shaped component flexed and was only capable of partially unlatching the the door.

To remedy this during a road trip, I first drilled a small hole through the inside black plastic baseplate and on through the levering black plastic handle on the outside.  I then attached a nylon cable tie to the U-shaped component, inserted the tail of this cable tie through the drilled hole, snipped the head off a second cable tie, then placed this head onto the tail end of the first cable tie.  This successfully connected the outside black plastic levering door handle to the U-shaped component.  I can testify that this road repair works:

I have made initial inquiries with nuCamp.  Apparently, a replacement aluminum actuator pin is not available; only an entire latch/lock set is possible.  My local dealer here in British Columbia has quoted me $260 plus $75 for standard shipping for this replacement part (Canadian Dollars, not including taxes).
I assume the door latch mechanism is intended to last more than three years, so this leads me to suspect a flaw in the cast aluminum actuator pin caused this failure.  I will further my inquiry with nuCamp to determine if there may be either a warranty extension, or at least reduced pricing for a replacement latch/lock set.
I will update this post with the results of my inquiries…

All of my searching for an aftermarket alternative latch/lock set to fit a 2020 T@B 400 has left me empty handed.  If you are aware of a durable, quality alternative latch/lock that will fit, please post a link.
Thank you.

Update:
There was no reduced pricing.
Prices in Canadian Dollars, May 2023:
Door handles and latch:  $260
Lock cylinder and 4 keys:  $42
Shipping from nuCamp to BC dealer:  $70

Thankfully, nuCamp provided a lock cylinder that matches my original lock, so I now have lots of extra keys.
Also, the BC dealer (Sunwest RV in Courtenay) covered shipping from them to me; a gesture I certainly appreciate.  I do recommend Sunwest RV.

Comments

• Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 542
    Thank you for the detailed write up. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 617
    edited May 2023
    We've all been dreaming of a replacement lock that has a combination lock included, but alas, no one has found this elusive lock for our T@bs.

Great road fix!
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    LeatonLeaton Member Posts: 10
    My entry door lock system also failed, same metal fatigue.  I too ordered a new lock mechanism, came with FOUR keys, and the new key core.  I recall you saying it was hard to install the key core.  I am having some trouble figuring out how to install it into the latch mechanism (doing it on the kitchen table before pulling the other and installing the entire door latch).  I am able to slide key core in, after aligning the small pin to the notch, but the bottom of the key core has a single blade that does not retrack with the key inserted and thus hits the bottom plate and I can't rotate the key core to seat it.  Any suggestions?   Thanks Larry   
  • Options
    swiftwaveswiftwave Member Posts: 31
    This won’t be particularly helpful Larry:
    I recall puzzling over this while gently tinkering with every option I could think of.
    Finally, I put it down and made some coffee.  When I picked the lock back up, I had new eyes and saw the solution.  This was months ago, I should have kept notes.  Did I have the key inserted when installing the lock core?  I think so, but now it’s all a blur.
    Once you figure it out, please leave an explanation here.
    Best of luck…
  • Options
    LeatonLeaton Member Posts: 10

TO ALL:   I FINALLY GOT THE KEY CORE INSTALLED.  NOT INTUITIVE AT ALL.  THANK YOU SWIFWAVE FOR SENDING A NOTE.  SEE BLEOW.  CREED HOSTETLER FROM NUCAMP HELP ME OUT AND THIS SEQUENCE BELOW WORKED TO INSTALL THE KEY CORE. WANTED TO SHARE WITH OTHERS.  INSTALLING THE UNIT IS PRETTY STRAIGHT FORWARD.   HAPPY THANKSGIVING  LARRY

LARRY

Creed Hostetler

Hi L​arry

Here is the insert you have to turn with the key in the empty cylinder slot. 

Turn until it's like this

​Keep holding the handle as shown, and insert the cylinder with the key in it. Turn it and let go of the handle. And it should set in place

Best Regards,

Creed Hostetler

nuCamp is not liable for any loss incurred as a result of performing service or warranty 

work unless it is conducted at an authorized dealership or service center with prior consent.  

Any unauthorized distribution of the material in this e-mail is highly discouraged. 

On Tue, 21 Nov at 12:58 PM , Leaton0331 <leaton0331@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks

Image removed by sender Creed Hostetler

nuCamp is not liable for any loss incurred as a result of performing service or warranty 

work unless it is conducted at an authorized dealership or service center with prior consent.  

Any unauthorized distribution of the material in this e-mail is highly discouraged. 

On Tue, 21 Nov at 12:32 PM , Leaton0331 <leaton0331@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Creed

I missed a call from NuCamp.  Was that you or the line manager?   No voice mail.   Thanks. Larry

Sent: Tuesday, November 21, 2023 8:24 AM
    To: leaton0331@gmail.com
    Subject: Re: Core insert for Main Door T@B 400

Hi L​arry,

​I will pass this along. I don't have the answers on hand which is why I have to ask the foreman, so unfortunately a call won't do much good at this point. 

Best Regards,

Image removed by sender Creed Hostetler

• Options
    MartinMartin Member Posts: 6
    The lock is a FAP FIRENZE (tag in the picture) made in Italy. It is available on Ebay as a HARTAL door lock for around $85.00.
  • Options
    mbeckerpashambeckerpasha Member Posts: 22
    Terrific and useful post! Thanks Swiftwave. They could use your help at Boeing.
    2021 T@B 400 Boondock "Boony"
    Towed by 2023 Ford F-150 "Frida"
    New River, AZ