Options

2021 TAB 320 Door Lock

Has anyone upgraded the door lock on n 2021 or newer TAB 320 door? I would like to change out to a keypad lock but not sure it will work with the newer style door.

Comments

• Options
    EasternJLEasternJL Member Posts: 33
    I'm dredging this old post up.  Looking at the new door (just ordered our 2024 TAB), it doesn't appear that you could change the door latch/lock for something keyless (with remote, etc.).  Has anyone found something that works here?  
    2024 Tab320 S - Black Canyon - "C-ThreeTwoO"
    Honda Ridgeline
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,291
    I've changed my door back to what the pre-2020 models had. It will now take one of the keypad locks, but it's not a project for someone unless you're retired with lots of time for trial and error engineering. =)

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    Wow-- yes, that might be more than I want to bite off.  Do you have any pictures of what the inside of the door looks like now?  
    Honda Ridgeline
  • Options
    Basically you made front and back cover plates to cover the old (wider) openings on the door-- and bolted it in place.  And you painted them black to match. 
    Honda Ridgeline
  • Options
    @EasternJL I started pulling back the blow molded cover to see how it was attached and got myself in deeper than planned. It all worked out in the end. Just a lot of work.

Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    Thanks for that.  I think I'll live with it for a bit and decide later about the deep dive!  I do like the features on the back of the door.  I would be nice if someone came up with a way to incorporate the keypad/remote lock with the existing door.  
    Honda Ridgeline
  • Options
    EasternJL said:
    ... I do like the features on the back of the door ...
    I'm guessing that you're referring to the blow molded features on the new door. My opinion was just the opposite. I never found a practical use for any of it. My opinion is that the glitzy nature of the design may have gone over well with focus groups, but not so much once they got out on the road. To make matters worse, they had to redesign the screen door, moving it further into the cabin, to make room for the questionable bells and whistles. All that on top of a bulky, poorly designed latching mechanize motivated me to make the change.

This post sounds too much like a rant against nuCamp, but that's not the objective. We love our T@B, but that doesn't mean we can't try to make it fit our camping style even more than it already does.
    Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    Yeah-- once I actually get the camper and use it for a while, I may end up having a similar opinion.  We rented one for a couple nights, so I don't have enough time with it yet to say for sure.  Space is certainly limited, so you definitely don't want anything that decreases it.  Thanks again for providing the info and pics!
    Honda Ridgeline