Options

EcoFlow Delta 2 powered Camper Converter using Southwire Surge Guard plug

Quick report:  Before camping this season, I tested whether my EcoFlow Delta 2 would power my trailer converter, which has a Progressive Industries Electrical Management System (EMS)  that is hardwired for use with shore power.  Using a 30 to 15 amp dog bone and extension cord, I used the EcoFlow Delta 2 as shore power.   It did work using a Southwire Surge Guard (https://www.southwire.com/power-management/recreational-power/surge-guard-generator-neutral-ground-bonding-plug-model-44400/p/44400) plugged into an open 110 V output of the Delta 2.   But it did not work without the plug, throwing a ground error in the Progressive Industries EMS.   This strategy is just an option when dry camping and there is insufficient sun for generating power with a solar panel or there is no fossil fuel generator.  It is not an efficient way of charging your house.   Money would be better spent simply installing a second 12v battery, if possible.   However, I use the Delta 2 (two of them) as part of an emergency home backup of my gas furnace and sump pumps, employing a transfer switch.   I also keep my ICECO fridge running in my vehiclem ensuring when the tow vehicle engine is off, I continue to have power.    
2017 T@B 320 Q Max 
2018 Toyota Highlander, XLE  
Wisconsin

Comments

• Options
    kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    When traveling with our Nucamp, we also carry a EcoFlow Delta 2 to back up our two 100 amp Battle Born batteries, rather than installing a larger solar system which becomes unreliable in overcast weather.  As above, the EcoFlow is also our backup for frequent power outages at home providing both 120vac and 12vdc as needed.
    Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,676
    @MadCityJack @kottum On your Delta2: what would be the advantage of plugging in from the shore power connection?  The ability to use the household outlets in the trailer? (I'm assuming this is the case).

If you just wanted to power the trailer (no household outlets, just 12V) have you ever tried the "regulated 12V output" plugged into a 12V port in the camper? We have spare battery threads here that discuss using these types of devices plugged in that way. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    MadCityJackMadCityJack Member Posts: 106
    edited May 2023
    @pthomas745 I have never plugged into the 12v trailer port with a 12 v regulated power supply.   I think I would need a doubled ended male “cigarette” connector—one end for the output of the EcoFlow and the other end to the 12v port of the camper.  Does that make sense?

2017 T@B 320 Q Max 
    Wisconsin
  • Options
    kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    With two Battle Born batteries installed, we have not run out of DC, but I like the idea of plugging our EcoFlow Delta 2 into a 12vdc port in the trailer to bypass its converter/charger.  So I would also assume a double ended cigarette lighter adapter cord would be the best way to hook it up?  We can get 120vac by plugging directly into the EcoFlow.  

I'm thinking we would bring the EcoFlow inside for these connections.  Otherwise we carry it inside the pickup.

Our reason for getting the EcoFlow was for frequent power outages at home.  Backup power in the camper is a bonus.
    Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,676
    @MadCityJack yes, a "12V male to male cable", as Amazon puts it.
    There is a thread about "carrying a spare battery", and there are various ways to connect an extra battery.  I've hooked up a small AGM battery with a 12V male cable that had ring terminals on the battery.  I turned the battery switch off, and the small battery powered the 12V items in the trailer just fine.  I'm assuming the Ecoflow, with the 12V output, could do the same thing.  I am not sure about the smaller Jackeries, etc, I haven't looked at their output sockets as closely.  But, it does seem other "batteries" like the Jackery/Goal Zero types do not make it easy to get a DC "output".  (Again, I don't have much experience with any of these systems.)
    I'm guessing: some trailer owners have the Jackery/GZ models, and if they could easily connect them to a 12V port, and use them strictly as an extra power source for their trailer, they could be much more useful.  Not to mention easier than buying and installing new batteries, which can be a chore.
    This is the "anyone carry a spare battery thread." One owner of a Bluetti wired his unit directly into the 12V system of the trailer, and you can see that install on page 2.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    @pthomas745 I was concerned that putting 12 v power into the 12 v output port inside the cabin might affect the converter electronics.  I thought a diode  placed immediately after the 12v output from the converter would minimize any impact of the 12v regulated power input from the EcoFlow (or any other power supply).   I never got that far.   However, that you have done it with your extra battery makes me less concerned.   Any thoughts on this?  
    2017 T@B 320 Q Max 
    Wisconsin
  • Options
    @kottum, It seems we share similar uses for the EcoFlow units.  I have two Delta 2s (D2s) connected to a home transfer switch(es) to provide backup to our sump pump, furnace, router/modem, fridge, if a grid failure.  A six circuit Reliance Pro Tran transfer switch lets me select home circuits for powering as needed; the furnace is on a singe circuit transfer switch (EZ Switch).  In the event of an extended grid failure, I have solar panels and an ALP propane generator to charge one D2 while the other is used, as needed.   I bought the D2s  because each weighs less than 30 lbs as is the ALP, which allows me to move them around relatively easily.  I can also take a D2 camping and hopefully use the 12v DC output.  
    2017 T@B 320 Q Max 
    Wisconsin