Options

Hyundai Veloster Turbo?

TSB84TSB84 Member Posts: 1
I'm looking to purchase a vehicle in about a month, and then hopefully purchase the T@B Max S in early 2016. I know in the videos about each model, they say that SOME 4 cylinder engines can pull a T@B. Does anyone know if a Hyundai Veloster Turbo falls under this "Some" category? It is an I4 with 201hp & 195 ft-lbs of torque. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    T@BuhuraT@Buhura Member Posts: 97
    edited August 2015
    The power and torque seem more than adequate for it. Have you researched the published tow rating Hyundai has for the Veloster? It comes down to the chassis and axle load ratings to whether it can carry the load a T@B will put onto it.
    2006 Dutchman T@B T16, 2010 Volvo XC90 3.2 R-Design
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    The veloster Turbo manuals indicate that they don't recommend towing and aftermarket towing hitches are Class 1 and indicate very low tongue weight (they are just bolted to chassis).  The engine seems strong enough, but the overall weight of T@B is too big and the tongue weight is at least 50% over safe towing (if not over twice rated capacity).
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I saw a Veloster for the first time yesterday. Maybe if you compared the height, in inches, of the Veloster to that of a T@B, it would put the sheer size difference more in perspective. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Short answer; it would not be recommended.

The engine specs are just one part of the equation.  Can the suspension support the added weight?  What will towing do to the transmission?  Tires?  I have seen a T@B towed by a focus, a TDI Passat, a Corvette even, so it can be done, but I don't know how long any of those vehicles will last under such conditions, as they are not designed to do it.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Machak88Machak88 Member Posts: 160
    I find towing capacity ratings in the US very confusing. How come that Mazda 6 was rated as the best towing vehicle in its class in Europe, while in the US the user's manual states its towing capacity as ZERO? What gives?!
    2014 T@B S-Maxx with 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, Atlanta, GA. 
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Machak88 said:
    I find towing capacity ratings in the US very confusing. How come that Mazda 6 was rated as the best towing vehicle in its class in Europe, while in the US the user's manual states its towing capacity as ZERO? What gives?!

I asked my insurance agent about the towing issue.  She said that if a person is knowingly towing a camper/trailer that exceeds its recommended towing capacity that if in the event of an accident, State Farm would cover the other person, but would probably deny all claims by the insured, and the insured's status with State Farm would be reviewed by an underwriter.  She did say she could not speak for other insurance companies, but I'll be betting that the other insurance companies would have similar rules.

Knowing the vehicle is manufactured for use in the US and governed by the laws of the US, can be enough cause to cause quite a financial headache for those who ignore the manufacturers' recommendations. Therefore, it doesn't matter what happens in another country, the vehicle in question is manufactured for use in the US, being used in the US, and now the original poster has knowledge of the manufacturer's recommendations.

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    Forget the Veloster, it has a "worse than average" reliability history anyway. If you want a Hyundai, go with the Santa Fe with the 2.0 turbo, it tows 3500lbs. and is more reliable. 
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    The thing to keep in mind also, with powerful vehicles, another reason they have little to no towing capacity may also be due to a lower capacity cooling system. They can handle a car full of people and gear, but put a trailer in the equation and it overwhelms the cooling envelope. I came to learn this when towing with my compact Jetta.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA