Options

Interior window screens mod

Maxcamp8Maxcamp8 Member Posts: 213
edited June 2023 in Modifications & Upgrades
The side window screens on our Jan. 2021 TAB 320 Boondock are woefully ineffective.  Insects come right through the screen pleats.  The screening is coarser than the effective front window.  Tired of keeping these windows closed and fan blasting during buggy stops, made auxiliary window screens that mount to the interior of the plastic side window casings.  I find it inexusable that NuCamp constructed the front and side windows and screens differently, and the side screens are totally ineffective for both mosquitoes and no-see-ums.  

These screen assemblies magnetically snap right over the existing interior plastic window casings.  Lift off to manipulate windows and existing screens and shades. We store and travel with them in situ.  Do not shake loose on cobble farm roads and work great to keep out bugs.  Finished white face of masonite faces in. 

[Photos added]

Suggested modification to this fix:
The existing window casings are made of four extruded plastic sections, with extruded rounded corners fit over them.  The corners stand proud by about 3/64" relative to the sides and top, making it difficult to get a continuous magnetic seal at the four corners. 
If I had to re-affix the tape, I would make up a matching thickness 1/2" width shim under the mag tape applied to the plastic casing. 
Could rip shims from plastic lumber on the saw, or knife cut shims from sheetmetal or a thin flexible plastic cutting board.

Materials:
Amazon: JOOFAN Window Screen Replacement, DIY Adjustable Encrypted Mesh Window Screens Mesh for Window Doors, Patio Entry Porch Screens Mesh, Curtain Net(40''X125'',Black)

Amazon: two pair: GAUDER A+B Magnetic Tape I Magnetic Strips with Adhesive Backing for Fly Screen & More | Magnetic Tape Roll (10 ft + 10 ft)
A or B has an embossed line on backside; the other polarity does not.  Keep them matched up!

Lumberyard: 1/8 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. Eucalyptus White Hardboard (masonite)

Lumberyard: 3M 17.6 oz. Hi-Strength 90 Spray Adhesive

I used paint thinner as solvent to clean up any errant overspray of adhesive.  Do not use the usual acetone solvent on plastic.

Steps:
1. Make up a test strip of parts A and B tapes on waste board, test your spray adhesive technique and pull strength.  Proceed hereafter if satisfactory.

2. measured and cut masonite frame to same dimensions as plastic window casing.  I included a vertical muntin for strength and jigsawed the two openings.  Nominal 2" width of frame members.

3. spray adhesive on brown face, two coats.  Affixed cut screening and used laminate roller for adhesion.

4. over screening on brown face, laid out blue tape for 1/2" wide spray adhesive to hold Mag Tape.  Center strips so as to be able to measure matching layout on plastic window jambs.

5. spray adhesive, two coats, inside blue tape and also on back side of Mag Tape part A.

6. measured out Mag Tape part A pieces, cut a bit long.

7. Laid in and end butted Mag Tape part A on window screen, used laminate roller for adhesion.  Be sure to unroll and de-stress the rolled up curve in the tape before using.  Trimmed ends to fit tightly.

8. Remove blue masking tape, re-roll mag tape with laminate roller.

9. Mark out, blue tape mask, spray up, and lay up Mag Tape part B on plastic window jambs.  Two coats adhesive on jambs and tape.  Laminate roll.

10. Trim screening edges, test out new screen assemblies- should snap right into place over interior of plastic window jambs.

11. Lay out or scribe radius on corners similar to existing jambs, and belt sand to eliminate sharp corner

2021 T@B 320S Boondock/ 2012 Tacoma 4 cylinder truck / 2023 Tacoma 6 cyl. truck

Comments

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @Maxcamp8 looks like a bona fide project. When you get a chance, plz post a pic of your screen upgrade in place. Curious as to what it looks like and if you get a chance, let us know about any improved effectiveness. Thanks.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    MobeanMobean Member Posts: 55
    Magnetic tape was a nice idea.  Interested in those final photos.  My approach to this problem was to create covers for the inside frame made out of "no see um" screening purchased from a big box store.  I added 4" to window frame measurements, cut screening, hemmed the edge, formed the corners on a fabricated wood frame for final fit and then fed a coat hanger with a formed end-eye to pull ¼" elastic through the hem. Finally, snugged the elastic to fit like a shower cap while on the window. Front window required more customization because of the curved frame.   So far, no bugs at night.  I roll the screens up when not using and store behind the seating area.  Now if I only knew how to keep bugs from following me into the TAB.

2021 320S BD
    2020 V6 Chevy Colorado
  • Options
    Maxcamp8Maxcamp8 Member Posts: 213
    Followup.  Screens work great, no pesty invaders on numerous trips now.

Also cut 18x35 inch foil faced insulation sheets to wedge into closed window openings and repel UV invaders.

2021 T@B 320S Boondock/ 2012 Tacoma 4 cylinder truck / 2023 Tacoma 6 cyl. truck