Options

Best way to reattach this trim? 2018 T@B400

I went out to get something from our 2018 T@B400, and saw that the back plastic panel was hanging off. What's the best way to reattach it? I have a tube of Shoe Goo, or I have some double sided Alien Tape. Either, both, or something else?

Comments

• Options
    kevenvkevenv Member Posts: 27
    I love my Alien tape! I would clean it up and use that.
  • Options
    Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    kevenv said:
    I love my Alien tape! I would clean it up and use that.
    Thanks. Clean with rubbing alcohol?
  • Options
    Alcohol / goo gone, anything to clean off the residue and dirt.
  • Options
    AubreyAubrey Member Posts: 149
    I just used Nucamp recommended 3M tape to reinstall round window on my 2018, after VERY thorough goo-gone and alchohol cleaning and rolling pressure over tape it felt like an instant and quite strong bond.
  • Options
    No mounting points on trim I assume?
  • Options
    TabmanicTabmanic Member Posts: 36
    Goo gone will remove old tape and goo with some work, 3M makes an exterior double back tape used for trim on autos, come in a few widths and most auto parts stores have it.
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 618
    3M Adhesive Remover is great to have in the garage for this type of job.  Their VHB tape will hold it on.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    Thanks for all your suggestions. It turns out that the panel was held on with automotive trim tape, which I was able to remove slowly and painstakingly, but at least there was no sticky residue. I replaced the tape, but I had trouble getting the top to stick to the body of the camper --it pulls away. So, it's not the best solution, but I put several strips of black gorilla tape along the top edge, just so we don't risk having it come loose on the road to Maine. Frustrating job!
  • Options
    Preparation cannot be overstated even with 3M tape, clean surface right temperature and that stuff grabs ahold, remove goo-gone with many wipes of alchohol
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Aubrey said:
    Preparation cannot be overstated even with 3M tape, clean surface right temperature and that stuff grabs ahold, remove goo-gone with many wipes of alchohol
    I didn't need goo gone, and I cleaned it thoroughly with alcohol. The 3M tape is holding the trim panel to the attachment piece very well. The attachment piece at the top is a potential problem, though. It's screwed into the body of the camper at the bottom of it, but the top edge was held (or not held well) with the thinnest of pieces of 3M tape. That's what I can't get to stick. The panel pulls the attachment piece away from the body of the trailer, so I used some tape on the outside to help it stay in place. Not the most elegant solution, but I want to keep it attached for our upcoming trip.
  • Options
    Good luck and keep on keeping on.
    I hope to take ours out next week for some lakeside smashburgers! 
  • Options
    Aubrey said:
    Good luck and keep on keeping on.
    I hope to take ours out next week for some lakeside smashburgers! 
    Have a great time! I realize how difficult it is to describe exactly what problem I'm having with this trim, and how confusing my description must sound.  Hopefully, it'll stay in place--i guess that's the best I can wish for!
  • Options
    Deb55 said:
    I didn't need goo gone, and I cleaned it thoroughly with alcohol. The 3M tape is holding the trim panel to the attachment piece very well. The attachment piece at the top is a potential problem, though. It's screwed into the body of the camper at the bottom of it, but the top edge was held (or not held well) with the thinnest of pieces of 3M tape. That's what I can't get to stick. The panel pulls the attachment piece away from the body of the trailer, so I used some tape on the outside to help it stay in place. Not the most elegant solution, but I want to keep it attached for our upcoming trip.
    Maybe try the Alien tape on the part you are having difficulty with. It is much thicker.