Options

First Time Jitters

maxwellllllmaxwellllll Member Posts: 15
We're heading out tomorrow for the first time with our 400 (this is a replacement/downsize from our Intech Terra Oasis, so we're not completely inexperienced with travel trailers--just new to Nucamp).  I'm expecting to learn a lot, but I'm nervous about being out in the middle of nowhere--at a remote Texas State Park with spotty cellular--and running into some sort of noob issues.  Weather will be warm, but not oppressive (65F-85F), and we'll have electric and water hookups, so we're expecting it to be fairly "low pressure."  Nevertheless, I have some anxiety about the learning curve.  Frankly: operating the Alde system scares me a bit (will only need for hot water--no heating needs expected).  Other than that, I'm just wondering if there are any tips that anyone has that might help things go smoothly this weekend.  

Thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,595
    Tip:  Just relax and enjoy the outing.  Even if you and 'the trailer' have some disagreements
          it won't be anything that could undo being out and about in the country side.  Plus you
          will have a 'trailer' project to research/learn/resolve when you get back home.

Compared to the inTech only the Alde system (maybe the Nautilus, depending on your trailer model-year) is new.  Even if your first usage of the Alde doesn't go smoothly you can always heat water on the stove :) and stay in bed under the covers a bit longer if needed to stay warm . . . .
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,659
    What year 400? 
    The Alde manual, even though it scrambles information in all the wrong places, is really all you need.  Start with the manual in your hand, on Section 2.  Look at the screens and the manual step by step.  All the rest of the manual is trying to explain the rocket science of the Magic Of The Alde.  How a user actually makes it work is...Section 2. Much easier than you think, it just takes a bit of practice.
    Bring a water pressure regulator, or you will encounter the Famous Yellow Flapper Valve opening up to protect your plumbing system from overpressure.  The Yellow Valve is down under the driver's side bench where the Alde is. 
    Each and every one of us ran into a "noob" issue and lived to tell the tale.

If you haven't: find the Victron app and binge watch your battery status.  Not a big deal on shore power, but if you have it set up your co-pilot might be able to study the battery charging status of your tow vehicle, etc. Practice will pay off.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Good stuff here.  Thank you!  Section 2!!  Should be good on water pressure regulation, but good to know RE: the FYFV--just in case.  The Nautilus is a little intimidating, but seems like I'll just need to stare at it for a minute to make sure things are flipped the way they're supposed to be.   
  • Options
    marleecampsmarleecamps Member Posts: 133
    If this is a new 400, you may find the need to adjust the mixing valve associated with your hot water system.  The factory setting is often on the lukewarm side.  On my 2021 400, the valve is in the same compartment as the Alde itself - under the driver side bed.  Use a flathead screwdriver to turn the valve toward the plus sign.  You may need to play with this so you don't end up with scalding water.

Good luck, have fun, don't get frustrated and welcome to the family.
    --Marlee
    2021 Tab400 Boondock; TV 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee; Minnesota
  • Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 354
    I don't think the Texas State Park system does connectivity. Assume you have nothing. Occasionally you will be pleasantly surprised. 

What part of Texas are you?
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    Update!  

Everything went great!  There was an absolutely massive and lengthy downpour on our second night, but we stayed dry and comfy inside throughout.  The only significant mistake we made during our trip was firing up the A/C with the vent cover on.  Power tripped at the Watchdog after five minutes, and only took about a minute of head scratching to figure out why.  Need to spend some quality time here in the forums to find some crafty storage and organization solutions, as that seems to be the steepest learning curve for us in the trailer downsize: how to use the space most efficiently.     

@Mickerly We're based in San Antonio.  Just camped out at Seminole Canyon, which is one of our favorite spots--it's never full (maybe people are worried about border security?), and has great views and nice hiking, along with the most amazing cave paintings (available with guided tour only) in the United States.  
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,007
    Congrats and glad it went well! I think just about everyone who has a cool cat has fired it up with the cover snapped on!  I've done it twice.  At least the second time I remembered before it shut down! 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado