Options

Safety

dougsarmdougsarm Member Posts: 5
edited August 2015 in Camping & Travel
I'm surprised no one has asked this question, what about parking your TAB and unhitching and going sightseeing and someone pulls up in a truck and just tows your unit off?  I see in the brochure for the new TABs shows a wheel lock (like a boot) on their front page. The dealer said they have a hitch lock. So how vulnerable are these campers or for that matter anyone camping? Obviously we have not done a lot of camping for a long time.
Dougsarm

Comments

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    edited August 2015
    They do get stolen, just like a lot of other campers, for various reasons.

I lock the hitch with a hitch lock and padlock it as well.  I also put the stabilizers down, just to slow someone that wants it down.  All in all, anything you do will keep the honest people honest, but if someone really wants it, and has a cordless angle grinder, they can be off with it in minutes.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited August 2015
    dougsarm - If you search, there's several threads on securing your T@B. Basically, a hitch locks and a wheel lock are the general ways they're secured. I have both but don't use the wheel lock while in campgrounds as people tend to notice strangers coming in.  And, in 10 months full time I've only met one person that made me wonder and that was deep boondocking. I might get some pepper or bear spray.
    All said, if someone really wants to steal your T@B they will find a way - the hitch and wheel locks will slow them down though.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Do people unhitch in parking lots and go sightseeing at places like National Parks or before venturing down a road to look for a boondocking site?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    jkjenn said:
    Do people unhitch in parking lots and go sightseeing at places like National Parks or before venturing down a road to look for a boondocking site?
    Nope.  I find a campsite and then site see, or just leave it hitched up.  At National Parks there are normally parking spots for RV's and travel trailers. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    There were several campers unhitched in the lower parking lot at Devil's Tower as there's very little room up at the visitor's center for campers. I've unhitched to go exploring for a spot when boondocking. Glad I did in a couple areas as what looked like a decent road ended up with 15ft deep gullies that my Jeep could get through but a car would have had trouble and there was no room to turn around, especially if the T@B would have been behind me. Would have made for a very ugly back out.
  • Options
    PlaycPlayc Member Posts: 234
    Is there a reasonably priced and small GPS device that can run on 9v battery for days and brodcast the location to a website?  And magetically stick to TAB.

So you turn it on when leave, if stolen it can be easily traced.

2015 S Sofitel, Austin/Houston
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    I know that there are gps devices you can attack to your dog's collar so it is feasible. BUT you need to subscribe to a tracking service with a monthly fee. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Yep - Backcountry hikers use them but monthly fees also.
  • Options
    I think I'd be more worried about my car being stolen - It's worth more and with different plates would be hardly noticed. the T@Bs are so unique they're hard to hid and there's no chop shop market for the parts.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Playc said:
    Is there a reasonably priced and small GPS device that can run on 9v battery for days and brodcast the location to a website?  And magetically stick to TAB.

So you turn it on when leave, if stolen it can be easily traced.

There is a service from SPOT. Not sure what you consider reasonable, though.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    I have a gps tracking device cost $34. Plus $10 for a 90 day pre paid phone card. Hooks to battery. I call my tabs phone number and it shows me where it is on Google maps.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Pennies a day - Cool, far cheaper than the GPS trackers. Screwed if you don't have cell service though.
  • Options
    PlaycPlayc Member Posts: 234
    I have a gps tracking device cost $34. Plus $10 for a 90 day pre paid phone card. Hooks to battery. I call my tabs phone number and it shows me where it is on Google maps.
    Hi dalehelman - would you please send the link where I can purchase the device?  TIA
    2015 S Sofitel, Austin/Houston
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Dale, tell us more about it.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    It's just a pre-paid cell phone isn't? Use the find my phone function type thingy. That was my presumption.
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    edited August 2015
    Just do a search gps trackers on Amazon and take your pick.
    i bought a Smart China vehicle auto car gps tracker TK103B they are now $36 free shipping. Enter TK103B in the Amazon search line.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    One could probably use their old smartphone and that extra line wouldn't cost much on a family type plan - then just use the find my phone function.
  • Options
    lazulibuntinglazulibunting Member Posts: 41
    http://www.dewaltmobilelock.com/
    I just heard about this from a friend. He was able to track a stolen box trailer with all his concert equipment inside, and the police were able to recover everything.
    Lazuli Bunting from Utah
    2005 Dutchman T@B & 2010 Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited August 2015
    I thought about this family plan idea. Both Verizon and AT&T have a charge per device of $15 per month (actually $25, but they each give a 'discount'). I don't know if there's any way to reduce that.
    PXLated said:
    One could probably use their old smartphone and that extra line wouldn't cost much on a family type plan - then just use the find my phone function.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    KristyKristy Member Posts: 6
    Hide your iPhone in the trailer when you leave…