Options

Bearing Dust Cap Failure

ObizzyBObizzyB Member Posts: 14
edited May 2023 in Trailer & Towing
2018 T@B 320 cs/s
My bearing dust cap came off after a brutal road of dozens of severe potholes. I’m not sure if the cap just popped out or if there is damage to my bearings; there is grease visible. Picture number 3 is what it should look like. I’m hoping and praying there isn’t some major damage in there.🙏 BTW just had them repacked by the dealer in February. 

Liz S. aka Bizzy B
2018 T@B CS/S
2014 GMC Acadia w/tow pkg. 
Northern CA

Comments

• Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 455
    Likely there is no damage to the wheel bearings. The shiny parts are actually part of the wheel and have no function besides looking good. The part with the rubber center is the actual cover of the bearing and is normally attached to the brake drum/hub. I'd take the wheel off, feel if there is any play in the bearings and if it spins smooth. If so, just add grease as needed and put on a new cap. 
  • Options
    ObizzyBObizzyB Member Posts: 14
    • Thank you, Grumpy! I will take it to my trailer guy..🤞 
    Liz S. aka Bizzy B
    2018 T@B CS/S
    2014 GMC Acadia w/tow pkg. 
    Northern CA
  • Options
    Maxcamp8Maxcamp8 Member Posts: 213
    edited June 2023
    The  rubber cap in photo  is the removable plug over the Dexter axle grease zerk.  Normally this aluminum cup with plug is full of grease and its normal for  blob or two to work out and show on the decorative hubcap immediately after servicing and travel, as I have found twice after repacking.

Not clear why cup plug appears far below center of the hub.  If it came off you need to remove wheel, spindle nut, and inspect.

So long as it remained intact you should not have contaminated the bearings. 

2021 T@B 320S Boondock/ 2012 Tacoma 4 cylinder truck / 2023 Tacoma 6 cyl. truck