Options

How to turn my tab sideways manually

CC19CC19 Member Posts: 4
edited May 2023 in Tips & Tricks

everyone! 

I take my Tab 400 to a waterfront location and like to place the camper sideways on the lot to maximize my view of the water from the front door and kitchen. 

i put the wheel on the tow hitch and push it with a friend. When he is not with me does anyone know of a way to push it back so it can be hitched up? I’m thinking of putting a rope on my suv hitch and turning it that way.

Has anyone done this before and if so what have you used?

i just want a way to move it back into a two position if I don’t have anyone to help me.

thanks so much! 

Comments

• Options
    Maple_GeekMaple_Geek Member Posts: 203
    I knew a solo traveler that used a Trailer Valet to help her backup in spots she was not comfortable backing up. Not cheap but I thought it was neat:
    https://www.pocomarine.com/shop/trailer-valet-trailer-dolly/
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    2021 Toyota RAV4 TRD Off Road
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Instagram: new.t@bventure
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,493
    The 400 is a heavy beast to try to turn by yourself. As @Maple_Geek mentioned, the safest way to handle this solo for a 400 is a trailer dolly, either manual or motorized. Manual ones are cheaper, but take up a lot of room in the trailer or SUV. Motorized ones range from around $450 for the TrailerValet 5x to $1500 or so plus installation for the Purpleline (disclosure, I have the latter and love it, but it’s really only needed if you’re dealing with steep inclines, or I would have gone with another product). I’d probably try a manual option first. I used to use one with my TrailManor eons back, and on level ground they work really well. 

Or, the easiest option, just ask a neighboring camper for help? Most people are willing to lend a hand.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Yes! The other campers do help.

i have also taken a cable and turned it with the cable hitch on my suv. I just don’t wish to do damage.

i appreciate your help! 
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,659
    @CC19 I took the liberty of rotating your photos.  My "inner photo editor" just took over.  The Vanilla forum software has some quirks, and photo rotation from some devices is one of them!
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    I appreciate it! It was my first time posting. 
  • Options
    Maxcamp8Maxcamp8 Member Posts: 209
    edited June 2023
    Take care not to side load any trailer Jack.  Most are not designed to handle cable dragging laterally. Wheel tends to dig in and 3/8 bolts are put into shear.
    A geared Valet or a multi wheeled dolly would allow you to steer while moving more in line with rear wheels.  Bigger wheels and dual wheels are helpful.

However our hand/drill cranked trailer valet bogs down in any soft ground or any bump greater than about 3/8 inch height.  Great to u turn trailer on our 14 ft wide road, with a bit of to and fro.

2021 T@B 320S Boondock/ 2012 Tacoma 4 cylinder truck / 2023 Tacoma 6 cyl. truck

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    edited June 2023
    CC19 said:

i put the wheel on the tow hitch and push it with a friend. When he is not with me does anyone know of a way to push it back so it can be hitched up? I’m thinking of putting a rope on my suv hitch and turning it that way.

I have done this once on a sandy surface, but I used to launch my sailboat using a line between the tow vehicle and trailer, so I have a lot of experience with this.
    I tied the rope to my hitch and then to the T@B frame (not the jack). I would take it very easy and make sure you know how to tie a good knot (I used a bowline) and that you are using a rope that can take that kind of load (I used an old mainsheet from a sailboat). Be sure to chock the wheels again after turning the camper (before untying the rope). If you plan to do this frequently, I'd consider switching to a double and/or pneumatic jockey wheel (search this forum for details).
    My concern is that in your photo you're pretty close to another camper, so you don't have a lot of wiggle room. It would be best to have a spotter.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    The 400 is tough to move by yourself and can be dangerous depending on how level/unlevel the ground is. The trailer valet seems like the safest way to do it. What’s scary about doing it yourself is you don’t have another person in your opposing position to catch the trailer if it starts to move on its own on a slope (ask me how I know).
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road