Options

Elwell Air8 (2022 Tab 320s) not cooling air

My 2022 Tab 320s Air8 stopped working.  I can hear the compressor come on, but it doesn't cool.  There is no condensation flowing under the camper.  The camper is 19 months old, stored in garage since purchase, 300 miles on it, mostly used heat.

Checked everything I can.  Fuses, circuit breakers, temps , panel etc.    Any ideas?  I wrote Nucamp and explained the situation.  In short they quickly responded and said...  Sorry to hear that, check to see if the unit is dislodged, if not call your dealer or call Elwell.

Air worked less than 2 months prior.  Open to any suggestions.  Otherwise it's a 200 mile drive to Austin and probably a 2 month wait for service based on the postings I've seen.

Comments

• Options
    techietabtechietab Member Posts: 159
    edited June 2023
    Having the exact same issue. Also in a 2022 Tab 320s. I suspect that the refrigerant needs to be recharged, but unfortunately it's a closed-loop system, so that means workarounds like a retrofit 'piercing' type valve will be required to fix it.
    Northern VA
    2022 T@b 320 S / 2021 Subaru Outback
  • Options
    Charlie_FYFMCharlie_FYFM Member Posts: 23
    Just got off the phone with Elwell.  They took my info and a technician will call me back.  Fingers crossed.  
  • Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 372
    edited June 2023
    Hi, Keep us posted.  I know a lot of people are concerned about the Alde and long term issues, but I’m more concerned about the Air 8 on late model 320s.  I’m concerned about the long term availability/cost.  I’ve done quite a bit of looking around and can’t find one instance of the Air 8 being used in another RV/camper van/boat.   There are a couple of look a likes (from other manufacturers, I’m not certain, but I don’t think Elwell makes them, just distributes them) , but haven’t dived in if the footprint,  air in take and exhaust match up to the openings.  Best wishes with your repair/replacement. 
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    I don't think Elwell makes the Air8.  They are a marketing and distribution company.  As of this writing I still haven't had a callback from Josh the Elwell technical person.
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,502
    edited June 2023
    I don't think Elwell makes the Air8.  They are a marketing and distribution company.  As of this writing I still haven't had a callback from Josh the Elwell technical person.
    Is it Truma? Does this look like it?https://www.truma.com/int/en/products/truma-air-conditioning/truma-saphir-compact-storage-box-air-conditioning-system
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Marceline said:
    Is it Truma? Does this look like it?https://www.truma.com/int/en/products/truma-air-conditioning/truma-saphir-compact-storage-box-air-conditioning-system
    I think you found it.  Almost identical.  Minor differences.  FYI I still haven't received that call from Elwell's tech yet.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    6/6 @ 10am.  Talked with Princesscraft service.  After remote troubleshooting ran out of ideas, scheduled an appt for early July.  Warranty expired with trailer warranty 9 months ago, but they are calling Elwell and checking.  Doesn't seem right to pay full fare for something this new.  They will get back to me after talking to Elwell.  
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,502
    6/6 @ 10am.  Talked with Princesscraft service.  After remote troubleshooting ran out of ideas, scheduled an appt for early July.  Warranty expired with trailer warranty 9 months ago, but they are calling Elwell and checking.  Doesn't seem right to pay full fare for something this new.  They will get back to me after talking to Elwell.  
    I'm sure you've tried a bunch of things, but here's a thread I found of someone trying to troubleshoot a similar problem, just in case it has anything you haven't tried. 
    https://www.justanswer.com/hvac/igcg4-truma-saphir-won-t-blow-cold-air-it-s-ka24-rc.html

Also, here's a link the manual for the Truma unit (in case it has any info you didn't get from Elwell)

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    techietab said:
    Having the exact same issue. Also in a 2022 Tab 320s. I suspect that the refrigerant needs to be recharged, but unfortunately it's a closed-loop system, so that means workarounds like a retrofit 'piercing' type valve will be required to fix it.
    I asked Princesscraft service if they open up the Air8 to diagnose the problem.  They told me not any more.  They used to but stopped that practice. 

Also, no callback from Elwell tech today either.
  • Options
    Hi, Just curious did they say why to no repair.  I’m guessing because like most compact AC, there is not a lot to troubleshoot.  If it does have a refrigerant leak or a bad compressor, neither are economical to repair.  No surprise on the call back, I’ve reached out to them on a few occasions with no or slow response.  I also found their technical answers on my questions not very good.  Good luck.
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    I've already done a once-over on all the obvious potential issues with my Air8, and my next step is probably to try a refrigerant top-up with an aftermarket valve. Just need to figure out where I can get my hands on a canister of R410A.

I figure that if it's not the refrigerant, the unit is probably dead anyway, so I might as well give it a try.
    Northern VA
  • Options
    Princesscraft did not say why they stopped opening up the Elwell Air8.  Looks like I'm playing the long game here.  Could be3-4 month plus $$ before we are back on the road just 19 months after our purchase.
  • Options
    Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 173
    I have the same issue in my 2020 BDL. Unit ran fine during a hot 2+month trip in the summer of ‘20 and then just quit cooling toward the end of the trip. I suspected that low amperage at our last campground may have damaged the unit - but that’s just speculation on my part. Spoke with Josh but he had nothing to offer, though he did send me the temp sensor relocation kit. Installing it did nothing to solve the problem. Please post if you make any progress with this.
    Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
    2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
    2019 Subaru Ascent Premium
  • Options
    Does anyone have a photo of what the Elwell Air8 looks like inside with the top off?
  • Options
    Hi, if you do a search for the Truma Shaphire, you can find an exploded diagram of all the parts.  

It sure does look very similar.

2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    In addition to the Truma Saphir, it looks like the Dometic FreshWell 3000 is also an equivalent/clone.
    If you do a bit of browsing on Alibaba/Aliexpress, you can also find some Chinese OEMs that seem to be producing generic equivalents (or near-equivalents) en masse for whitelabeling/rebrand applications. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the Chinese vendors is the original supplier.
    Northern VA
  • Options
    Thanks all for the help.  I'm truly surprised that Nucamp would be incorporating such an unreliable system in their product,
  • Options
    Hi,

I’m not quite on the fence that they are unreliable (yet).  ACs are mechanical parts and although we expect long trouble free life, sometimes even good systems fail (also see it in cars all the time..right ).  As most of have concluded, Elwell is most likely just a distributor with their name on it.  Even most home AC units are made by only 5-6  companies, but are rebranded by many others, with sometimes lesser quality parts (boards and compressor).  

It’s just very disappointing they are not more responsive.  Best wishes 

R/
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    @Charlie_FYFM - Any chance you've heard back from Elwell? I opened a warranty inquiry via their website a week ago and they haven't responded to me.
    Northern VA
  • Options
    I've decided to order a brand new Air8 from Elwell to replace my current faulty unit. Planning to document the replacement process and will post a guide here whenever I eventually get around to the swap.

I also will attempt repairs on the faulty unit and eventually post results. I've got the tools, parts and R410A coolant needed to attempt a coolant top-up, and if that doesn't work I might continue to attempt other fixes as time permits.
    Northern VA
  • Options
    Hi Folks,

I have an update on my Air8 situation.  We drove the our Tab320s back down to PrincessCraft RV in Austin on July 6th for service on the Air8.  The status as of July 20th is as follows - Service has checked the unit and found that the Air8 blows air and the compressor comes on so probable internal Freon leak.  Unit needs to be replaced.  They have a call into NuCamp and are looking for a replacement.  Since this appears to be a defective Air8 unit barely out of warranty I requested it be covered.  If not it will be an expensive fix.  PrincessCraft RV says it is up to NuCamp whether they cover the unit or not.  Lets hope they stand behind their products.
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,592
    =-= Related, Yet Off-Topic =-=
    So hope this issue and other reported Air8 issues gets nüCamp to drop the Air8 (only) A/C system.  It might make 'trailer space' sense for folks that need a Microwave Oven but for folks that don't need/use a Microwave the original Window A/C was a far better ( & cheaper to repair/replace) cooling option and allowed for a huge storage space under the rear bench seat.

Ideally IMHO, nüCamp should have buyer options:
     +-+  Air8 with Microwave
     +-+  Window A/C without Microwave (with hopefully improved fresh air venting for A/C unit)

Having these options is not a huge production scheduling/planning or inventory control issue . . .

And if we look Big Picture, IMHO there should be a Cassette or Black Tank option as well.

I'm a hard user of recreational equipment (and sell my used items well below 'used only three times' units).  In the next couple of years my '18 320S will need replacement and while it is an ideal size and floorplan for my usage - - -  nüCamp is not on the replacement trailer wish list . . . due to Air8 and Cassette.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+