Options

How to identify which cable to connect to the battery?

Both of the cables from my T@B 320 are red (one more red, one more pink) with no other marks or lines.
How can I determine which one should go the positive or negative battery terminal?
Thanks, V@B

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,676
    Welcome to the Forums!
    What year is your 320?  The newer trailers have fuses on the positive battery cable.
    A picture will really help here.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    KK1LKK1L Member Posts: 96
    It would be REALLY unusual to have a pair of + and - with one being more or less red than the other. It is more likely one of them is from the solar panel (or jack for one) and the other to the charger/12V supply. Can you take a picture? There really should be a black wire or two there.
    73 es God Bless de KK1L, Ron <><
    2023 T@B 400 Boondock "Running up a T@B"
    Jericho, VT
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,442
    In concept, I agree with @KK1L. However, I've seen some peculiar color schemes around T@B batteries. Sometimes I wonder if there wasn't perhaps a sale on a certain color wire so that is what got used...
    Bottom line is that I would never make any judgement based on wire color. If in doubt, trace the circuits visually or with a multimeter.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    KK1LKK1L Member Posts: 96
    edited June 2023
    More red and less red for + and - would be dangerous and a recipe for damage. Hard to imagine this wiring choice even in the face of supply issues. White or Black are what I have seen for neutral/ground. The odd one to get used to is Green often being a positive DC voltage, where with house AC wiring green (or bare wire) is earth ground...well and of course black being HOT in an 120V AC.
    73 es God Bless de KK1L, Ron <><
    2023 T@B 400 Boondock "Running up a T@B"
    Jericho, VT