Options

Any great and easy brake installers?

KismetKrushKismetKrush Member Posts: 29
Hi, I have a brake controller but it just kind of hangs on the floor. Anyone have a brake controller they love and was somehow easy to attach to dash so I can adjust in a jiffy? jill with a 2022 320s

Comments

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    Whatever brand of controller you have might have a dash install kit, it’s worth looking into that. Or alternatively, using velcro or similar to attach it somewhere more accessible?

A number of us have gone with a wireless brake controller instead. The Curt version of these uses your phone & an app instead of a manual dash mounted knob, so you just need a good phone mount & a willingness to leave that app up all the time while driving in case you need to tap it for emergency braking. 

The Tekonsha Prodigy RF wireless controller has a handheld controller that only requires a 12v outlet nearby (the actual brake controller is mounted to the trailer); I went with this product and then cobbled together a setup using a PopSocket stuck on the back of the hand unit paired with a clip-on car vent mount that cradles the PopSocket. This allows me to put the hand unit right next to the steering wheel so that should manual braking be needed, I literally only have to move my hand to the right about 3 inches to reach the button. I couldn’t get any closer with a permanent install! When not in use, I can store away the hand unit, and unclip the vent mount or just leave it in place. This setup makes it very easy to change tow vehicles as well, since there’s no permanent install in the car.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    KismetKrushKismetKrush Member Posts: 29
    WOWWWWW @VictoriaP that Curt Echo is amazing! and did you see for $56 you can buy the small attachable button so you don't have to use your phone. The Tekonsha looks good as well but the Curt is so easy, I need that in my life. Thank you so much. The help from this forum is going to get me back on the road as a newly single person. I was once sad but am feeling more and more empowered. Thank you. =)

CURT 51189 Manual Override Bluetooth Button for Echo Mobile Trailer Brake Controller, Powered by Flic, White

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    edited June 2023
    @KismetKrush Happy to help! Do a search on the Echo on here, I know a few people have run into issues with it and found workarounds. Or do a separate thread about it specifically & ask for experiences. Hadn’t heard of the button, that definitely would be an improvement over using the phone, at least to me.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW