Options

New lithium phosphate battery question

2»

Comments

• Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    Tabmanic said:
    8955-AD: here is a video that WFCO linked me to that will force it to switch and it has worked every time for me.
    So how many times have you had to do it?
    It's not really "auto detect" if you have to go through any of this crap and then keep checking it. They should just bring back the switch. It's not like anyone keeps changing them back and forth.
    Why I put in a Victron and didn't change the WFCO.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    TabmanicTabmanic Member Posts: 36
    Mine has never changed back to lead acid. I have used 2 of these 1 in a 320 and now in my new 400 and both have never change from the lithium profile but you do have to first drain voltage down to around 12.5v in order to get the converter in bulk mode, I do agree that the switch was the best way.
    I had a long conversation with one of the tech people about the switch and she couldn't tell me why they removed it, she also said to keep complaining and maybe they would bring it back.
  • Options
    WildRumpusWildRumpus Member Posts: 42
    edited July 2023
    Tabmanic said:
    8955-AD: To make sure you are using the correct charging profile in the converter, look in the bottom back of converter and the small LED light should be Blue for the lithium profile, Green is lead acid. If it is green here is a video that WFCO linked me to that will force it to switch and it has worked every time for me. Also the video shows pulling the lower area out to see the light but you don't have to on the 8955-AD you can see it by looking thru the bottom.

https://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/Auto-Detect-into-Lithium-Mode-Compressed.mp4
    Thanks for the tip!  I just checked, and I have the  blue light on, so I'm good.  

That's very counter intuitive on WFCO's part. So it's "mostly-if-you-get-lucky" Auto Detect. Heck, I'd rather them just put a darn manual switch on it for Lithium or Lead. But it's working, so no complaints. Thanks again.
    Gainesville, FL
  • Options
    TabmanicTabmanic Member Posts: 36
    edited July 2023
    Your Welcome,
    also check your Victron Mppt charge controller and make sure that you are using the correct profile, both of trailers were never setup for lithium. When using a Battleborn battery (Maybe Others) it requires a "User Defined" profile, here is the recommended settings given to me from BB:

Absorption voltage:
    14.4 volts (acceptable range is 14.4 to 14.6 volts) 
    Absorption Time:
    The recommended settings for our lithium batteries is half an hour per 100ah of LiFePO4 battery (for example if you have 2 -100ah batteries select 1 hour).
    Float Voltage:
    13.5 volts (13.6 volts or lower is acceptable for LiFePO4 batteries) 
    zation voltage:
    14.4 volts (you do not need to equalize Lithium ion, you will have equalize turned off, but incase it ever runs a cycle the batteries will be fine at this voltage) 
    Temperature Compensation:
    should be disabled on Lithium Deep Cycle batteries because they do not need to be compensated, leave this off. 
    Low Temperature cut-off:
    Our Battle Born Batteries have low temperature charging protection built into the battery, it’s monitored by our Battery Management system which is also built in.  You can leave this off too, some other brands do not protect your battery against damage from low temp charging, we do, we have got you covered. 
  • Options
    SuperBonBonSuperBonBon Member Posts: 3
    How difficult is this swap from AGM to Lithium? Is it as simple as removing one and putting in another? Other than the config settings, are there other "gotchas" for the physical installation? I have the 2022 with the lithium auto-detect.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,700
    It really is that simple...as long as it fits in the space you want it to go in.  You don't say if you have a 320 or a 400. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    GregChrisGregChris Member Posts: 189
    Is really that simple though? From what I'm reading here, autodetect doesn't really work. My portable charger isn't lithium compatible, so I need to replace that. My solar suitcase isn't compatible either, so I need to buy a new controller for it. And my tv isn't going to charge correctly either, so I need a dc to dc charger, what ever that is. A Renogy 100ah agm is only $189, and will probably suit my needs.
  • Options
    SuperBonBonSuperBonBon Member Posts: 3
    It really is that simple...as long as it fits in the space you want it to go in.  You don't say if you have a 320 or a 400. 

I have a 400.