Options

Hot water on all the time or only when needed?

When you're at the camp site, do you tend to keep the Alde hot water off, and turn it on only when needed, or do you turn it on and leave it on so you have hot water at the ready?

Am I right in noticing that the Alde does need a little time (at least 10 - 15 minutes) to get the water up to temp after initially turning it on? (In other words, one cannot just turn it on and expect instant hot water.)

2022 Tab 320 CS-S Boondock

Comments

• Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 450
    Yes the Alde unit is not instant hot water. Personally I keep the Alde off on most of my trips. Washing dishes or hands with cold water is fine. I turn it on if I need the heat at night or if I want to take a contortionist shower. 
  • Options
    marleecampsmarleecamps Member Posts: 133
    I turn the Alde hot water on as part of my campsite arrival process and leave it on until I prepare for departure.  Yes, there is a lagtime while the Alde heats the water from the fresh water tank.  By turning it on right away, I have hot water available as needed.

FYI, if you have an electric hookup, plug in at the pedestal before turning on the Alde to avoid potentially blowing a fuse.
    --Marlee
    2021 Tab400 Boondock; TV 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee; Minnesota
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    I generally only turn hot water on when needed. It's habit at this point (turn on before we eat knowing dishes will need to be washed). 30 minutes before showers.

BUT, we boondock mostly so just leaving it on wastes a lot of propane and probably wears the system out faster. Maybe if hooked to shore power it makes sense to leave it on.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 587
    During the summer months when I don't need the heat, I leave the Alde off until I need hot water for a shower. Just having it on creates heat under the bed that I don't like.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    I also turn it on only when needed. Unless I forget. Like now. Which is why I'm sitting here playing with phone while I wait for the water to be shower ready!  :-/
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,007
    We keep our hot water on all the time when at camp.  Even if we don't need heat.   It uses so little propane and often times where we camp a little residual heat under the bed is nice at night.  If we camped where it did not get down to 45-55 overnight in the summer I may turn it off.  It is really up to you.  There is no right or wrong way.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 354
    It depends on where your are and what you're doing. In the summer in Texas, all the water is hot. We don't turn it on. We have an electric tea kettle. We use the kettle to heat water for doing dishes. In the winter, it's a completely different game.

If you set the Alde temperature to at least 10 degrees less than the temperature in your trailer, you will have hot water and not heat to the trailer. Where you are and how you camp will determine what you do. Experiment and see what you like.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    krsmeskrsmes Member Posts: 83
    Based on my experience with my ALDE I’d recommend leaving it off as much as possible. 
  • Options
    AubreyAubrey Member Posts: 144
    Also, as I found out, the "Ext Start" setting on the Alde control panel will make the water boiler turn on automatically when you plug in. Even when the Alde panel is turned off. So check that, or use it if you want that water hot all the time.