Jensen robs my bluetooth while turned off

After learning about the alarm setting that was frequently turning my Jensen on while parked at home (solved), I am trying to solve why the radio constantly robs my bluetooth signal from other nearby devices while parked at home and turned off.

My phone will be connected to garage radio or a speaker and every few minutes the Jensen will connect automatically and disrupt the stuff I am listening to. The phone will show 2 devices connected, I disconnect from Jensen, restart my program, and a couple minutes later it will connect again.

Anyone else experience this, a forum search suggests no.

Comments

• jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 284
    I experienced this and ultimately quit using the Jensen, replacing it with a portable bluetooth speaker.
    2019 T@B400
    TV: 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,321
    Yes, this happens to me too. I don’t know why but it’s able to commandeer my Bluetooth connection. Pretty annoying. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • JamesCJamesC Member Posts: 62
    What type of phone are you all using?
    2018 T@B 400, 2015 F150 tow vehicle. 
  • TabmanicTabmanic Member Posts: 36
    One more reason to put a switch on the Jensen radio, our radio is only on when using it.
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,868
    Not a Jensen problem exclusively, more of a Bluetooth problem.  The interwebs are full of complaints about this, mostly about vehicles taking over bluetooth in various ways.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,571
    edited June 2023
    Not a Jensen problem exclusively, more of a Bluetooth problem.  The interwebs are full of complaints about this, mostly about vehicles taking over bluetooth in various ways.

I think it must be a car stereo thing. My Tacoma automatically connects to my iPhone whenever I turn on the ignition. I'm guessing that if the Jensen has power, it's automatically going to look for a paired BT device. The only solution may be to be sure to turn off the Bluetooth on the Jensen when you don't need it. Android phones might have some kind of Bluetooth setting that requires permission to connect with a paired device but I think that it doesn't exist in iOS.

From the manual: Bluetooth Menu Options

NOTE: Please note that some Bluetooth menu options are only available while the unit is in Bluetooth Audio mode.

Press the SETTING button (23) to enter menu adjustment mode. Repeatedly press the >>| or |<<buttons (5, 2) or SETTINGS button (23) to access the “Bluetooth On/Off” menu function. Rotate the volume encoder knob to select BLUETOOTH ON, the press the ENTER button (4) to turn the Bluetooth function On or Off. The following additional menu options are available when the unit is in Bluetooth mode.

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • AubreyAubrey Member Posts: 160
    Thanks I looked through the settings menus but I will look again with this advice. I do see the Bluetooth icon on the front of the jensen no matter what mode it is in. 
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,571
    Aubrey said:
    Thanks I looked through the settings menus but I will look again with this advice. I do see the Bluetooth icon on the front of the jensen no matter what mode it is in. 
    The manuals for all of the Jensen models are here: 
    https://www.asaelectronics.com/support/
    Hopefully you’ll be able to find a setting to turn off BT when you’re not using it. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • SLJSLJ Member Posts: 519
    I put switches in to shut off all the electronics including the Jensen. No power, no problem.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • AubreyAubrey Member Posts: 160
    Where did you install the switches? And did you see an increase in boondocking power supply? Our 2 way fridge is clearly the biggest draw when we are parked, but isolating the tv and stereo might stretch a couple amps of portable solar charging.
    Still learning to dry camp after a couple years of light use.
  • HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 653
    edited June 2023
    I installed one of these right next to the Jenson in our 2019 400.  Remove the Jenson to gain access to the wires.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012IJ35VQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • SLJSLJ Member Posts: 519
    Aubrey said:
    Where did you install the switches? And did you see an increase in boondocking power supply? Our 2 way fridge is clearly the biggest draw when we are parked, but isolating the tv and stereo might stretch a couple amps of portable solar charging.
    I installed a switch panel next to the Jensen. Switches (L to R) Outside USB, inside USB, Jensen Stereo, Blu-Ray player, Jensen TV.
    Over head round LED lights were changed to dimmable with no power draw when off. Check here for my mods so far: https://teardropsandtinycampers.com/sj-mods.htm

2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 162
    Horigan said:
    I installed one of these right next to the Jenson in our 2019 400.  Remove the Jenson to gain access to the wires.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012IJ35VQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    this is the solution.  put in an in-line switch just like this.  drilled a hole in the cabinet so the switch is right under the Jenson.  Not only does it prevent your Jenson from stealing your BT, but it reduces leakage current, shuts off the jenson display light at night, and has a better, more reliable BT reconnect when you just turn it on and off from this switch.  best mode ever.  and cheap and easy.
    Silver on Silver, 320S '19 Outback
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,496
    Aubrey said:
    Different trailer model & model years will have different cabinet configurations. In my case, I wasn’t comfortable drilling into the cabinetry when I added a kill switch to the stereo. There’s a cabinet next to the Jensen (2019 320s), with a small gap between the two in the top & bottom corners just inside the cabinet door. Pulled the stereo partway out, added surface mount switch inline to the stereo’s power cable, snaked switch cable through that gap, & mounted the switch inside the cabinet. Not as attractive as the other options that have been posted, but also not visible from the front, and easily accessed when I want it.

2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW