Options

Cassette Toilet Compartment Drain

stephengstepheng Member Posts: 109
Has anyone added a drain to the cassette toilet compartment and sealed it up so that you can rinse it out with a hose? I’ve seen a few comments where people wish to do this. Does anyone know what exists between the storage compartment under the cassette and the bottom of the trailer, such that we could drill a hole and create a drain?

2022 T@B 320S Boondock

Comments

• Options
    Basil48192Basil48192 Member Posts: 266
    @stepheng.  Honestly, I would try to figure out why that compartment is not staying clean.  If the cassette is sealing properly, you should not be getting leakage into the compartment.  I had a small problem until I figured out that the cassette was not sealing properly due to the cover plate for the sump.  Once I removed the cover plate, my cassette locked in place securely and sealed properly.  Now, the compartment stays clean and dry.  
  • Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 381
    Hi,  I agree with @Basil48192, but the hole with the black gasket goes straight out to the bottom of the TAB.  It serves as the vent for the cassette tank.   I also would be careful about hosing down directly into the compartment, as I  don't believe all the interfaces are watertight.  Wiping down is sufficient.  I always rinse/hose  my tank on the outside before placing it back into the compartment to minimize any dirt.

2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    stephengstepheng Member Posts: 109
    I agree in the compartment is not watertight and would have to be sealed completely before one could hose it out. I just think that a drain would be good to prevent any black water from ever getting inside of the trailer.
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
  • Options
    TravelPodTravelPod Member Posts: 14
    Water gets into this compartment when we use the shower.  The caulking in the shower between the toilet and walls crack.  After recaulking, no leaks, but caulk cracks again after a few uses.
    2022 Tab 320 Boondock
    2011 Toyota Sienna
  • Options
    kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    edited August 2023
    The caulking in our shower was so thin and poorly applied, it was cracked everywhere when we brought it home. I applied more caulk on all the corners/joints in the shower. If the factory can't get it right, what's the chances of a dealership getting it right.

And yes, the little storage box cover inside the cassette compartment prevented the cassette from seating properly, and the cassette leaked into the compartment.  Throwing away the cover fixed that disgusting leak.

Overall, the shower/toilet/cassette compartment is a flawed design from being ridiculously small, subject to poor execution at the factory, no drainage when it does leak, and unable to clean that leakage around the cassette.

If this bathroom would have been designed and executed better (do we really need that impossible sink), I would highly recommend this camper.  As is, it's a feature NuCamp could do better on an otherwise great little camper.

I wonder if this cassette design continues in the high-priced Barefoot model, I haven't seen one.

Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona