Options

Adding AppleTV to T@B 400 television

(I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum.)

I would like to add an AppleTV to the television in my T@B 400 Boondock but the TV only has one HDMI port and it is currently occupied by the connection to the stereo. My question is: would a simple HDMI splitter be sufficient for adding the AppleTV? I want the AppleTV so I can use AirPlay from my iPhone, iPad, or MacBook Pro.

2023 T@B 400 Boondock, 2022 Toyota 4Runner SR5, various telescopes

Comments

• Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 453
    No, a splitter distributes a single input signal to multiple outputs. You'd need some sort of switch to select from multiple inputs to a single output. In any case, do you actually use the HDMI from the "entertainment unit" ? In my older T@b it's merely a standard definition DVD player straight from the 1990s. I have my media player connected to the TV and don't use the entertainment thingie at all. 
  • Options
    RTWCTSRTWCTS Member Posts: 113
    Try using the HDMI port on the Jensen. We use that with our iPad through an Apple digital multiport adapter.
    2023 TAB 400 Boondock
    2018 T@B 320 Sold
    Racing the Wind and Chasing the Sun
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    new2nu said:
    (I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum.)

I would like to add an AppleTV to the television in my T@B 400 Boondock but the TV only has one HDMI port and it is currently occupied by the connection to the stereo. My question is: would a simple HDMI splitter be sufficient for adding the AppleTV? I want the AppleTV so I can use AirPlay from my iPhone, iPad, or MacBook Pro.

As @Grumpy_G said, you would need a switch. I haven't used one so I can make any specific recommendation, but here's a review:https://www.lifewire.com/best-hdmi-switchers-4134646

Instead of AirPlay, I use the Apple multiport adapter (only the official adapter will work for Netflix and other DRM content) but that doesn't solve the 1 HDMI port problem.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    jbajorjbajor Member Posts: 135
    I run my Apple TV on a 12v to 110v inverter (sign wave) and run into hdmi input on Jensen. Works great!
    Ultimate Toys Teardrop Camper
    Volvo XC-40
    SF Bay Area, California
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 616
    If you have an older 400, you can't get access to the back of the Jensen, easily.  What we started doing was unplug the Jensen HDMI from the back of the TV, plug in the Apple Multiport connector, connected to the phone, send video to the TV through that network and provide audio via Bluetooth to the Jensen.  We've since got a switch, but haven't used it yet.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    new2nunew2nu Member Posts: 28
    I appreciate all the advice. Sounds like I need a switch. I don't use Netflix or any other streaming service. I just want to put a device's screen up on the TV using AirPlay. 
  • Options
    FoobarFoobar Member Posts: 13
    The ‘23 T@B 400 has an HDMI port on the Jensen AV receiver which you can select as a source for the TV - is there a reason you want to plug in directly to the TV?
    2023 T@B 400 Boondock / 2023 Rivian R1T - Long Island, NY
  • Options
    FoobarFoobar Member Posts: 13
    If you have to go the switch route, this is what I use and have not run into any issues with using an Xbox One, PS5, PC, Mac, Roku Ultra, Google Chromecast, or Apple TV:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08V4NDP6K
    2023 T@B 400 Boondock / 2023 Rivian R1T - Long Island, NY
  • Options
    Foobar said:
    The ‘23 T@B 400 has an HDMI port on the Jensen AV receiver which you can select as a source for the TV - is there a reason you want to plug in directly to the TV?
    None at all. I just want to do what's simplest. If plugging into the Jensen will work then that's what I'll do. I just wasn't clear on how the TV and stereo are connected. I'm new to this setup. 
  • Options
    elbolilloelbolillo Member Posts: 300
    new2nu said:
    I appreciate all the advice. Sounds like I need a switch. I don't use Netflix or any other streaming service. I just want to put a device's screen up on the TV using AirPlay. 
    We connect an iPad with a USB-C to HDMI cable to the Jensen Radio unit and it displays great on the TV. 
    elbolillo said:
    new2nu said:
    We connect an iPad with a USB-C to HDMI cable to the Jensen Radio unit and it displays great on the TV. 
    That's all I need to be able to do, including with a MacBook Pro. I will be able to experiment in detail later today.
  • Options
    kevenvkevenv Member Posts: 27
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    kevenv said:
    I used this with my firestick, same idea as with Apple TV:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07SR1S2JL?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
    Would you believe I have one of those on my Amazon list? 
  • Options
    krsmeskrsmes Member Posts: 83
    edited July 2023
    I hacked our AppleTV to bypass the power supply and run it on 12v.  
    Similar to this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HACVYvhG2q4

I mounted it permanently above the 3-way fridge behind the Jensen (works because the remote is RF and not Infrared and doesn’t need line-of-sight to function). Routed the HDMI cable to plug it into the Jensen and mounted power switches for both the Jensen and AppleTV

It works well. 

• Options
    JohninMissouriJohninMissouri Member Posts: 28
     Here is my AppleTV mount next to Jensen.  Used a very short HDMI cord from the Apple to Jensen's input.  Purchased a mount for the Apple and used 3M Super adhesive tape. I have yet to permanently place the power cord.  Will likely purchase a longer power cord and route thru cabinet to bed cubby.  Use my cell phone to provide WiFi signal.
  • Options
    krsmes said:
    I hacked our AppleTV to bypass the power supply and run it on 12v.  
    Similar to this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HACVYvhG2q4

I mounted it permanently above the 3-way fridge behind the Jensen (works because the remote is RF and not Infrared and doesn’t need line-of-sight to function). Routed the HDMI cable to plug it into the Jensen and mounted power switches for both the Jensen and AppleTV

It works well. 

Looks interesting. I will check out the video. Thank you!
  • Options
     Here is my AppleTV mount next to Jensen.  Used a very short HDMI cord from the Apple to Jensen's input.  Purchased a mount for the Apple and used 3M Super adhesive tape. I have yet to permanently place the power cord.  Will likely purchase a longer power cord and route thru cabinet to bed cubby.  Use my cell phone to provide WiFi signal.
    I love the minimalist look; quite in line with the T@B. This looks like what I'm after. Thank you!
  • Options
    rcarlson1957rcarlson1957 Member Posts: 180
    You'll need an HDMI switch. We use a 3 port HDMI switch for our setup. A port for Apple TV, a port for a microcomputer (about the size of an Apple TV) and a port for Apple Lightning/HDMI adapter for iPhone/iPad. Rarely use the Apple TV unless we have very good cell coverage (with iPhone personal hotspot or MiFi) and/or camp WIFI. So normally download a bunch of shows off streaming services for offline viewing to our iPhone/iPad. Works great and don't have to worry about having any kind of signal but recently some streaming services (Netflix and Amazon Prime) no longer support the Apple lightning/hdmi adapter to TV but do support computer to TV setup so we use the microcomputer for those situations. 
    2018 TAB 320S Silver/Black w/Dandelions
    2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL (AWD) Lunar Silver Metallic
    Rick and Barbara - North Texas 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    Enjoy doing and sharing mods
  • Options
    You'll need an HDMI switch. We use a 3 port HDMI switch for our setup. A port for Apple TV, a port for a microcomputer (about the size of an Apple TV) and a port for Apple Lightning/HDMI adapter for iPhone/iPad. Rarely use the Apple TV unless we have very good cell coverage (with iPhone personal hotspot or MiFi) and/or camp WIFI. So normally download a bunch of shows off streaming services for offline viewing to our iPhone/iPad. Works great and don't have to worry about having any kind of signal but recently some streaming services (Netflix and Amazon Prime) no longer support the Apple lightning/hdmi adapter to TV but do support computer to TV setup so we use the microcomputer for those situations. 
    I don't actually plan to use the television for actually watching television, but I plan to use it as a larger monitor for my MacBook Pro, iPhone, and iPad Pro. 
  • Options
    rcarlson1957rcarlson1957 Member Posts: 180
    new2nu, then you just need an HDMI cable to your TV and an HDMI adapter if your MacBook doesn't have one  and a lightning to HDMI adapter for your iPhone/iPad Pro. I ran one out the TV and down inside the wall and ran it out to side of bed. 
    2018 TAB 320S Silver/Black w/Dandelions
    2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL (AWD) Lunar Silver Metallic
    Rick and Barbara - North Texas 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    Enjoy doing and sharing mods