Disconnect the battery when not in use?

We own a 2020 Tab 320S. The trailer is kept in our garage at all times.  We have 30-amp service in the garage, into which I have typically kept the trailer plugged when we aren't using it. To properly care for our trailer and new battery, an Interstate SRM-24 Deep Cycle, 1) should I turn the trailer battery switch off with a fully charged battery in the garage after use, and 2) is keeping the trailer plugged in while sitting in our garage harmful to systems in the trailer, or is that an acceptable and typical practice?  Thank you.  

Comments

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,868
    edited June 2023
    A fully charged battery, with the battery switch off,  will hold a charge for months.  If you don't plan to use the trailer, just turn the switch off, and, done.  You can have a look at your Victron app every once in a while and check the state of charge.  And you can prove to yourself "a fully charged battery will hold a charge for months".
    If you want to use the trailer, you can just plug it in, with the battery switch on, and that will be fine, too. (Many owners do this).  If the trailer is nearby, and you have an extended power outage, just remember that if the switch is on, the parasitic drain of the trailer will use "so many" amps a day.  My 2017 uses about 6 amps per day.  If that was true for your trailer, those 6 amps a day will bring your battery state to less than 50 percent in about a week. 
    The key is: monitor the battery, if you can.  The Victron app.  A multimeter. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,679
    @rodjenkins - don’t forget to check the battery water level at intervals - especially if you keep the TaB plugged in and the battery switch turned on.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio