tail light wiring colors

fusedlightfusedlight Member Posts: 7
I'm wiring in a over-the-license-plate backup camera into my 2018 320,  I want to hook into the always-on tail lights.  What colored wires do I want to hook into ? What's positive, and what's negative? (the leads on the plate light are too small).  I know I could hook up the car and just see, but I really don't want to open up the gate, move the TV, etc etc.  Thanks all.

Comments

• SugardadSugardad Member Posts: 1
    I installed such a camera in our 2018 T@B 320 and connected it to the white and brown wires. According to Creed at NuCamp, the white wire is always negative, so I connected the negative camera lead to the white wire and the positive to the brown. You may have a different colored positive wire, but the negative wire is white.
    BTW, don't bother using the tap splice connectors that came with the camera as the camera leads are too small in diameter to make a good connection. Some have soldered them to a wire the same gauge as the tail light wires and used a tap splice. I carefully stripped both wires and connected them with a small wire nut that was secured with electrical tape.