Options

Kitchen Sink Modification in T@B 400

I decided to make my first modification which was installing a slightly bigger sink (and new faucet) in my 2022 T@B 400. I was not a fan of the glass cover on the current sink as it seemed like it was in the way when open and I didn’t use it for extra counter space when closed. I also felt that the faucet was not the best for washing dishes. So I was ready for a change!!

These are the products I purchased:

sink: https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/vidaXL-Kitchen-Sink-with-Strainer-and-Trap-Stainless-Steel/34520678/product.html?option=65529915&fbclid=IwAR2TRHdh57W6nSdS_UAPV1H2wH_uC8MhBQ3phz4WdfKzbnD4br-bF6OMKzU_aem_AVb59NYncic1Jl_i8g90Ly9pFZuYKNLogKkDR1fpJ2v_KoqQGwkrVjvoto2uEWkrZ80

faucet: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V1MQP35?ref_=cm_sw_r_apin_dp_1XJH8A9TFNPQKX57SCC4&fbclid=IwAR1UB0iCuUZqml2L-PW_RJZeO0-ka_0RiLp5qdJNa0C-5qaXrdVIk9f__LQ_aem_AVZTD49tlab4JtKdEa2A-PWBLmFot9wvhl2FRQicdlRz1KjsfN0NmlwMZ3RjvoAebbc

First step is to take out the old sink… if you lift off the little rubber dots on the edges of the sink there are screws underneath which need to be taken out. Then I used a thin putty knife to separate the silicone seal between the countertop and edge of sink all the way around. Next was to detach the drain pipe and the hot and cold supply lines (would recommend having a bucket underneath). Then with a push from the bottom of the sink it popped right out.

The sink I used required the opening to be trimmed a little, but fortunately it was just the plywood underlay that needed to be trimmed and not the actual countertop/Formica. The new sink had mounting latches underneath, so we also had to cut out notches in the plywood for the sink to fit.

With the new sink being slightly deeper we had to turn the water supply lines towards the back (because they were pointing out towards the middle of the sink).

After determining the sink would fit nicely in the hole, we then installed the faucet (with the sink not put in yet). We used a 1.25 inch drill bit to drill a hole for the faucet just above the sink hole. We then followed the instructions that came with the faucet for the installation. Although one hiccup we ran into is that the faucet water lines were a smaller size than the supply lines… but fortunately we found a 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch male to male brass adapter (two of them) that solved this problem. Then we used a pipe thread sealant to prevent leaks.

Back to the sink… the sink I got was slightly deeper and the drain hole was centered in the sink (which means the pipe had to be lengthened to reach). I shortened the vertical PVC pipe by using a 2 inch PVC pipe cutter and a 1.5 inch rubber neck. I lengthened the horizontal pipe using the same method (but with a slightly shorter rubber neck).

To install the sink I chose to use a silicone sealant around the rim of the sink as well as the mounting latches under the sink (the latching hooks/screws were included with the sink). The mounting latches were a pain in the butt… it took awhile to figure out how the mechanism worked, so I would suggest googling it beforehand! I ended up just installing three of the four mounting latches and I felt comfortable with how secure it was.

Now I have a slightly bigger sink with a pull down faucet that I absolutely love!!

Comments

• Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 617
    Nice mod!  We went with an even bigger deeper sink that required moving the upper cabinet door hinge lower.  This one makes the swap much easier.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,204
    Great job! I swapped ours out for a deeper, wider sink which also required moving the cabinet hinges down (wrote up a post about it on here but can’t find the link). Best mod so far. I wish Nucamp would just got this route. That Dometic faucet was horrible and ours started leaking less than a year into owning the camper. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    @melvanben
    Nice upgrade! I actually like the glass cover on the existing sink, but the sink itself is too small and the original faucet is pretty terrible, and the other facucet options that fit the sink (folding faucet) is just okay, but suffers several usuability issues.
    I'm going to show my wife your installation and see what she says, but I'm tempted to do the same. Thanks for sharing.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,204
    FWIW, the sink I installed came with a wood cover/cutting board which was nice but was so severely warped that it was unusable. It was also bulky and heavy and could’ve been a damaging projectile during transit.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    CampsiteGalCampsiteGal Member Posts: 17
    I may have to put this on my mod wishlist!  I find the faucet very difficult to use when rinsing dishes. Dawn spray has been great though. Pull down faucet is the way to go!
    2022 T@B 400 BD, the T@bacabana
    TV: 2017 Chevy Tahoe
  • Options
    KK1LKK1L Member Posts: 96
    We went another way when our faucet started leaking...kind if a half step to a better setup. I replaced the faucet and the glass top leaving the sink as is...for now.

73 es God Bless de KK1L, Ron <><
    2023 T@B 400 Boondock "Running up a T@B"
    Jericho, VT