Options

AC issue and power question

SomeTabberSomeTabber Member Posts: 4
I spent the summer in my 2021 T@B 320s BD, it has been great. I have had a couple issues that I am unfamiliar with and have come to the experts. I have a Dakota 100 MAH lithuim battery and smart shunt. I was off grid for 3 days at Hungry Horse earlier this month. Every night I had roughly 90% battery before going to bed at night. I would run my maxxair fan and fridge all the time on this. The last day when leaving the power to the camper shut off completely and would not come back on. I was already packing up so hooked up to the tow vehicle. I couldn't get a read on my battery via the smart shunt at all. It did not show up on bluetooth even connected to the TV. I assumed the battery was dead dead, which was odd considering it was 90% the night before. I drove 5 hours with the camper and stopped at my dads house. I still could not get a read on the smart shunt. I plugged into my dads house and suddenly the power was back working and the smart shunt worked. I wonder if this was some safety shut off? Just odd it would reset like that. Any ideas what would have caused this? How to avoid in the future?

The last night of the entire trip I was in Kansas for the night in 90 degree full humidity and the AC would not work when turned on. It smelled and made a noise. Anything I could do to troubleshoot this issue? Or just where can I take it to be fixed? I am in the Nashville area. Do I need to take it to NuCamp specifically? I do not believe I have a warranty at this point, but am unsure, is there a way to check this?

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 453
    Most likely the battery got discharged to the level where it shuts off. An external shunt needs careful calibration and it's not uncommon that they show false information. 
    Normally the battery should wake up and start charging when sufficient voltage is applied. This is probably what happened when you had it plugged into shore power. It should also happen when hooking up the tow vehicle (it does for my setup) but it's hard to guess why it failed. First guess is to check if the tow vehicle charge line is working, then to trace from the trailer plug to the battery. 
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    Does your T@B have a 3way fridge? If so, were you running it on battery or on propane?
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Grumpy_G said:
    Most likely the battery got discharged to the level where it shuts off. An external shunt needs careful calibration and it's not uncommon that they show false information. 
    Normally the battery should wake up and start charging when sufficient voltage is applied. This is probably what happened when you had it plugged into shore power. It should also happen when hooking up the tow vehicle (it does for my setup) but it's hard to guess why it failed. First guess is to check if the tow vehicle charge line is working, then to trace from the trailer plug to the battery. 
    Once we plugged in, battery was at 100%. So TV had charged it.
  • Options
    If the 100% reading is from the same battery monitor that showed 90% before the battery died overnight you can safely disregard it. What battery monitor are you using ? 
  • Options
    Grumpy_G said:
    If the 100% reading is from the same battery monitor that showed 90% before the battery died overnight you can safely disregard it. What battery monitor are you using ? 
    Smart shunt from victron. We have the stock solar panels that were topping off the battery the whole trip. Camper was in full sun. 
  • Options
  • Options
    The Victron can be pretty accurate if configured correctly, I'll let others chime in on the needed settings as I don't own one.