Options

Issues with pleated screen

We have a new 2023 TAB 400 BD. Almost immediately we have had issues with the pleated screens on all of the windows not folding properly and then coming out of their track. I noticed on each of our windows, there is only one of the solid black rods that seems to keep the screen folding properly. It seems that on videos of other TABs I see three of these rods on each window.

Are other folks having issues with the screens folding properly?

How many solid rods should each window screen have?

Comments

• Options
    SusieBrewSusieBrew Member Posts: 2
    Hi…same issue with the insect screen over the galley. You should see adjustment set screws in each corner; 2 for the white cords and 2 for the black cords. I took the whole screen/shade unit off the wall and took it apart. I found one of the black set screw pegs floating under the shade on the side of the unit. I reinstalled it, adjusted the tension, and reinstalled. No problems since. There is a series of videos on this site. Search for window shades and it should pop up. Good luck.
    Susie
    2023 Tab 400 BD
    2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 
  • Options
    new2nunew2nu Member Posts: 28
    LokiFinn said:
    We have a new 2023 TAB 400 BD. Almost immediately we have had issues with the pleated screens on all of the windows not folding properly and then coming out of their track. I noticed on each of our windows, there is only one of the solid black rods that seems to keep the screen folding properly. It seems that on videos of other TABs I see three of these rods on each window.

Are other folks having issues with the screens folding properly?

How many solid rods should each window screen have?
    Yes indeed! Last month I bought my 2023 400 Boondock on the condition that the dealer repair the rear window screen which will not fold at all. Of course he agreed but said it would better to replace the entire window under warranty. We're waiting for nüCamp to ship the replacement. 

The dealer told me that the screen was left deployed in excessive heat and that caused the screen material to lose its "memory" and won't fold correctly. I have a master's degree in physics but this seems a bit fishy to me, so I don't know.
    2023 T@B 400 Boondock, 2022 Toyota 4Runner SR5, various telescopes
  • Options
    LokiFinnLokiFinn Member Posts: 4
    How many of the black solid rods do you have in your screens? Pics on nuCamp website/brochure show 3. Mine only have one in each screen and that seems to be a problem.
  • Options
    JohninMissouriJohninMissouri Member Posts: 28
    Yes, many problems.   Did get the front window replaced on warranty.   Crap screens.
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,009
    Both the front dinette window screen and the rear bedroom screen should have three solid rods in the screen.  This is due to the size and curve of the windows/screens.  They help support the screen material when deployed.  The kitchen window screen will have no rods in it as it is smaller, has less material and no curve to it.  If yours only have 1 rod in them then it may be a defect.  I'd check on getting them replaced.

The screens need to be handled gently and both the screens and the blackouts need to be tensioned properly.  If you do this they operate well.  I've never had to adjust the tension on the kitchen screen but have on the bedroom screen and the front dinette screen.  I've only had the kitchen window shade come off track once and this was because I closed it with one had and had all the pressure on one side.  I now always use two hands with then evenly spread out so the screens and blackouts are moved evenly.  

They are a bit delicate but if treated in a gentle manner they will work well.  Ours continue to after 3.5 years.  But I still wish they would figure out a way to switch over to the Arctic Tern windows.  We have one in our truck topper/camper and everything about that window is better.  I just don't know if Arctic Tern has a slightly curved window. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    LokiFinnLokiFinn Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the confirmation on the number of rods. We are taking the trailer for a two week trip and will schedule warranty service after we really shake it down.