Options

Prodigy RF Electronic Brake Controller

RubyLeeRubyLee Member Posts: 7
hello, i purchased a prodigy RF brake controller in April, had it installed. Used twice and went fine. This third trip on return trip, when I tested blinkers, it caused my car to go on Hazard flashers. AFter that every time I put on blinker, HF went on which wasn't good but have no idea how to stop that. Then first time I hit blinker while driving it threw it into boost mode, which caused a scary stopping incident for me as I do not need boost mode pulling a teardrop TAB. So not I am afraid to use it or drive it and have no idea how to fix it as this is basically a plug n go type brake controller so don't know what is messing up. Anyone else ever have this issue happen? TY! Theresa

Comments

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @RubyLee we also have the Prodigy RF and have towed our t@b around 50,000 miles since 2016 and have never had any problems. Family and friends have towed it too, passing the plug in controller from one vehicle to another and driver to driver, but have not encountered a single glitch. Since we are generally a General Motors product family, it has been towed by our 2 GMC Envoys, a Chevy Silverado 2500hd, a Chevy Silverado, a Chevy Colorado, and a Chevy Astro van. Because of the variety of tow vehicles used and a range of model years from mid 90's to 2022, I suspect your problem or key to your problem might be in your tow vehicle electronics.

What year and model tow vehicle are you using? Someone else might be able to assist you if you tell us which.

Good luck. -Denise
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Thanks Denise. I have a 2018 Subaru Outback. I was able to tow safely once I figured out the boost was on and how to take it off, I just used the brake before I put on signal, but signal is my HF to those behind me. I can't get through to Tekonsha - waited 45 min today with no answer and continued.. 18 min wait. Tried customer service, was on hold and then just cut off. No reply to an email... Little worried about their customer service.
  • Options
    NorthIsUpNorthIsUp Member Posts: 170
    I have towed using the same controller for a while with two different Sequoias that were 18 model years apart in age. I do occasionally see connection issues or witness the handheld flashing some weird code. At that point, I disconnect the 7-pin and turn off all power to the Tab, including the master switch. I turn the vehicle off and back on and then try again after turning power back on the Tab and reconnecting the 7-pin. That reboot clears up any problems that I have encountered. 

Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

• Options
    DaveCDaveC Member Posts: 81
    edited August 2023
    I have used my Prodigy for 7 years on 2 different TAB with no issues.  I have a Volvo xc90 and had to use an older car to pair the controller with the handset.  You may want to re-pair the controller and handset.
    2017 T@B 320 Outback 2023 400 BD (IdahoTabato) pushing a 2023 Volvo XC90
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I finally got back to trailer to check it out again... and it is still doing it. I tried a few things.. starting car after I plugged in the controller to 7 pin.. still HF but only on TAB not car. Car still shows correct blinker. Also, I tried plugging in directly bypassing the prodigy and that works fine. So I assume it must be the controller messing up somehow? Just the trailer is HF plus remote, car is acting correctly with the rear lights. I tried re pairing but not sure if I did it right because I don't know how to unpair it first. But I went through steps again. Frustrating especially since I can't get through to prodigy customer service. I'll try again tomorrow. TY for trying to help. I just bought this and only used it a couple trips!!!