Options

New Buletti solar generator and new Renogy 100w not communicating

I just purchased a new Renogy 100watt solar panel with a Voyager 20 amp charge controller. I also purchased a bluetti EB 70 S Power Station. The Renogy says to hook your battery to the solar controller before hooking the solar controller up to the PV cells. I did that, but the Renogy is not recognizing the bluetti. The only input on the bluetti is DC7909. How can I get the two to talk to each other, or is that even what I want to do? Or should I plug the PV cells into the charge controller first?

I am a newbie at this, and any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
2021 T@b 320 S

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,670
    edited August 2023
    Find the Bluetti manual and see if it has it's own solar controller.  It appears that most of them do.  If yours does, all you need is the cable that connects to the solar panel and goes to the Bluetti. 
    Like this?
    The MC4 would connect to the panel and the female 7909 connector would maybe go to the Bluetti.  (You may need a male plug or an adapter, of course.)
    So, please look at this carefully.  It isn't hard, and Bluetti may be a much better source to make sure you get the proper cable with the proper "gender".
    People with these little batteries in a box seem to have an awful time getting these things straight, since the companies ( and Amazon!) do not do a good job explaining any of it.
    There are other Bluetti owners here, so I'm sure they can help.

On the Amazon page, there the description says the unit does have a built in controller, and shows what cable you would need to go from the panel to the battery unit.  It seems a bit short, but at least it will show you what you need so you can find a longer cable.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    CaptenajCaptenaj Member Posts: 42
    Yup, that was it! Once I didn’t use the solar panel controller and plugged the power station directly in to the solar panel, it worked like a charm. I think it is like a charm, but I started testing when the sun was too low. I’ll try again tomorrow.

Thank you for your help!
    2021 T@b 320 S
  • Options
    So: what cable worked?  The one that came with the Bluetti? An MC4 to the 7909?
    2017 Outback
  • Options
    CaptenajCaptenaj Member Posts: 42
    Yes, that is the exact cable. It was really plug and play, once you knew where to plug.
    2021 T@b 320 S
  • Options
    Good for Bluetti. As I said, some of the other manufacturers of "batteries in a box" make this a puzzle wrapped in an enigma.  Now, if we can only get all solar controller manufacturers to use simple plug and play controllers our lives would be so much easier.
    2017 Outback