Options

Canada Border Crossing 2023

sranderlesranderle Member Posts: 78
We have an upcoming trip in October to circle Lake Superior clockwise departing from Minneapolis, MN.

We haven't taken a camping trip to Canada since 2005.  I imagine that crossings are slightly different now.  We do have US Passport Cards in hand.

What advice can you pass along for the cross into Canada, and the subsequent cross back into the United States?

Food, knives/axes, beverages?

Thanks for your help!!

Steve & Sherry
2016 T@b Q
Lakeville, MN

Comments

• Options
    gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
     I cross into Canada frequently.  They will ask if you carry guns, drugs, and alcohol.  I declare alcohol for personal use.  If traveling with pets, you need a current rabies certificate.  As for yourself, you will need an enhanced driver's license or passport.  I find it sometimes more difficult to pass back into the US.  The US will do random vehicle checks and have longer lines into the border crossing.
  • Options
    sranderlesranderle Member Posts: 78
    Thanks for the tips.

Does either side restrict any types of food?  Should we cross into Canada empty and stock up there?  Same for return to US?

Steve & Sherry
    2016 T@b Q
    Lakeville, MN
  • Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    @sranderle -- sounds like a great trip!
    I haven't taken my T@B to Canada yet, but prior to the covid shutdown, I traveled from the US to Canada and back about a dozen times each year, mostly for work.

In my experience, crossing back into the US is usually more stringent than going into Canada.  Ultimately, it depends on the border guard you happen to get; they have a lot of leeway.

Meat products are a concern coming back into the US.  If you have pet food with you, it needs to be in the original container (I had dog kibble confiscated once when I was returning home).

I am on the West Coast and produce can be an issue, specifically apples and related fruit.  Not sure if that is an issue in your area.

Best advice is that you familiarize yourself with the current restrictions and observe them.

USA into CANADA:  https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/rpg-mrp-eng.html
    CANADA into USA:  https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-1273?language=en_US#:~:text=Some%20foods%20are%20generally%20admissible,are%20enterable%20from%20all%20countries.

My advice when crossing the border is to always give the briefest, honest answer to any questions.

2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• Options
    PhilWPhilW Member Posts: 12
    I crossed the boarder at Port Huron, MI to Sarnia, Ont. this year. They do not take cash, so have a credit card handy. I used my passport. No guns. There are some restrictions for certain items like fruits and alcohol related to length of stay. I would suggest that you visit the website for the crossing that you intend to take. 
    It was easy, but there can be some wait times. Mine was about 45 minutes - low traffic, but there was an issue with another person ahead of me that required a few police officers and that slowed everything down.
  • Options
    PhilW said:
    I crossed the boarder at Port Huron, MI to Sarnia, Ont. this year. They do not take cash, so have a credit card handy. I used my passport. No guns. There are some restrictions for certain items like fruits and alcohol related to length of stay. I would suggest that you visit the website for the crossing that you intend to take. 
    It was easy, but there can be some wait times. Mine was about 45 minutes - low traffic, but there was an issue with another person ahead of me that required a few police officers and that slowed everything down.

Why did you need to pay to cross the border?  I have never encountered that.

• Options
    PhilWPhilW Member Posts: 12
    The fee was the bridge toll
  • Options
    PhilW said:
    The fee was the bridge toll

Aha!  Have not encountered that in my border crossings.

• Options
    MobeanMobean Member Posts: 52
    Having a Nexus card makes crossing quicker (but everyone in the vehicle must have one) plus Nexus doubles as your global entry.  Unfortunately, it can take 12 months to get your card so it won't help you sranderle.
    2021 320S BD
    2020 V6 Chevy Colorado
  • Options
    jebjamjebjam Member Posts: 43
    edited August 2023
    In general no fruits or vegetables and certain meat products (beef for sure, but check the website for others). Packaged and processed foods are ok there's no need to arrive empty or buy all your groceries up north. In addition to no guns (at least without specific permits, if you're even thinking of that check into those rules very carefully), Canada does not allow pepper spray. Alcohol and cigarettes for personal consumption have quantity limits, typically a case of beer (24) or two bottles of wine or 1 bottle of liquor per person over age 19, I believe. Declare if you are traveling with currency over $10K Canadian. Its allowed, but they can seize your cash, checks, money orders whatever if you don't declare it. https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html
    2021 T@B 320 CS-S Boondock / 2020 Ram 3.0 EcoDiesel
    Golden, CO
  • Options
    bfeenybfeeny Member Posts: 24
    You will need a passport to enter Canada. An enhanced drivers license is not enough to get you across the border. 
  • Options
    bfeenybfeeny Member Posts: 24
    My apologies. You can enter Canada with enhanced drivers licenses from certain states, Washington, S Dakota, Michigan and NY. You will have less hassle with a passport.